+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Interestingly, employers like the public service and universities are taxpayer funded. So if you work there you are getting taxpayer funded maternity leave.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Interestingly, employers like the public service and universities are taxpayer funded. So if you work there you are getting taxpayer funded maternity leave.
    We have been advised by our workplace that the APS is not eligible for abbotts proposed maternity leave scheme. I also think this is a ridiculous comparison. Lots of jobs in Australia are directly or indirectly funded by the taxpayer. Sorry but I hate hearing that old chestnut "well my taxes pay your salary so you work for me"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fashionvictim For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (01-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fashionvictim View Post
    We have been advised by our workplace that the APS is not eligible for abbotts proposed maternity leave scheme. I also think this is a ridiculous comparison. Lots of jobs in Australia are directly or indirectly funded by the taxpayer. Sorry but I hate hearing that old chestnut "well my taxes pay your salary so you work for me"
    But don't you see it's essentially the same as saying taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for a maternity leave scheme for working women?

If we're going to start getting precious about taxpayers funding women having babies then there are more direct examples than large businesses paying a levy for a maternity leave scheme.

Thanks
    Reviews
    But don't you see it's essentially the same as saying taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for a maternity leave scheme for working women?

If we're going to start getting precious about taxpayers funding women having babies then there are more direct examples than large businesses paying a levy for a maternity leave scheme.
    Firstly I don't say that at all. Study upon study has shown that access to parental leave is necessary for a healthy economy. The maternity leave scheme originally proposed was never a realistic proposition, unfortunately just another way to get working mothers desperate for any way to improve their circumstances being already burdened with ridiculous child care costs to vote a certain way. Saying that APS employees maternity entitlements that they have personally bargained away other entitlements for and accrued through service is the same as government funded parental leave for all is just ridiculous. Our household pays huge amounts of tax, does that make me self employed?
    There are NO more direct examples than a levy, that is what a levy is.
    If that's your argument then taxpayers already pay for everyone's maternity leave, no matter their job or income.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lili81 View Post
    It's not the government paying for it - they just facilitate the payment and the policy.

It's paid by big companies.
    Its partly paid for by big companies - the rest is paid for by the money already budgeted for the current scheme, which is taxpayer funded and therefore paid for by the govt.

My issue is not about taxpayers paying for mat leave - I am completely for the current scheme - my issue is women being paid unfairly for the same thing, while other services are cut to those who need it ($6 co-payment for medicare as an example).
    Last edited by Pearlygirl; 01-05-2014 at 11:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Fashionvictim View Post
    Firstly I don't say that at all. Study upon study has shown that access to parental leave is necessary for a healthy economy. The maternity leave scheme originally proposed was never a realistic proposition, unfortunately just another way to get working mothers desperate for any way to improve their circumstances being already burdened with ridiculous child care costs to vote a certain way. Saying that APS employees maternity entitlements that they have personally bargained away other entitlements for and accrued through service is the same as government funded parental leave for all is just ridiculous. Our household pays huge amounts of tax, does that make me self employed?
    There are NO more direct examples than a levy, that is what a levy is.
    If that's your argument then taxpayers already pay for everyone's maternity leave, no matter their job or income.
    Argh! I didn't say YOU said it! I was just drawing a comparison to people saying that taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for maternity leave when taxpayers already pay for plenty of maternity leave and plenty of entitlements for anyone who happens to be employed by any number of publicly funded organisations and institutions.

People need to stop viewing paid parental leave as a welfare payment and as an employment entitlement instead.

I genuinely can't fathom why people don't believe all working women should have access to paid leave at wage when they have a baby.

Instead of looking at why we don't all get access to such leave as a matter of course the argument invariably degenerates into tit for tat about 'why should *she* get more than *me*?' and a battle between greedy high income earners and pure, innocent minimum wage earners.

I just can't believe that in this day and age we believe it's perfectly fine to fight for equal pay and the ability to climb the career ladder without discrimination but not to fight for the right to retain that pay and career position once we've begun raising a family.

Hopefully our daughters look back in amazement at our willingness to accept being dudded in this way the same way we look back in amazement at the fact that women used to be excluded from the workforce once they got married.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

babyla  (01-05-2014),Falkor  (13-06-2014),kw123  (01-05-2014),MINIRoo  (01-05-2014),Pumpkinontheway  (09-12-2014),Ra Ra Superstar  (01-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    People need to stop viewing paid parental leave as a welfare payment and as an employment entitlement instead.

Instead of looking at why we don't all get access to such leave as a matter of course the argument invariably degenerates into tit for tat about 'why should *she* get more than *me*?' and a battle between greedy high income earners and pure, innocent minimum wage earners.
    All of what you said is spot on but THIS in particular! Sick of it.
    Last edited by kw123; 01-05-2014 at 11:58.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

babyla  (01-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @NancyBlackett Amen sister!!
    And it saddens me to no end that some of the strongest opponents to paid parental leave are women in child bearing years.

Remind me of the debate around the Obama Care Plan where people with no money to spend on their own health would fight against it.

I just want to add that a lot of groups are working to get gender equality in the work force and one of them is Human Rights Australia. Also the Internal Labour Organization.

Surely that counts for something. I will post their reports on here later tonight

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

MINIRoo  (01-05-2014),NancyBlackett  (01-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @NancyBlackett I wholeheartedly agree with all you have said, apart from the notion that APS maternity leave is directly taxpayer funded any more so than other forms of mat leave.
    Here's hoping for a realistic scheme that actually gets approved. In it's current form I'll be far worse off as I won't be eligible for anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Argh! I didn't say YOU said it! I was just drawing a comparison to people saying that taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for maternity leave when taxpayers already pay for plenty of maternity leave and plenty of entitlements for anyone who happens to be employed by any number of publicly funded organisations and institutions.

I genuinely can't fathom why people don't believe all working women should have access to paid leave at wage when they have a baby.

I just can't believe that in this day and age we believe it's perfectly fine to fight for equal pay and the ability to climb the career ladder without discrimination but not to fight for the right to retain that pay and career position once we've begun raising a family.

Hopefully our daughters look back in amazement at our willingness to accept being dudded in this way the same way we look back in amazement at the fact that women used to be excluded from the workforce once they got married.
    I just said this in the other thread - ppl is not welfare.