+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    what about those beautiful new shiny army planes @kw123??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    True... Far more important than increasing female participation in the workforce. Women shouldn't be working anyway!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (30-04-2014),ExcuseMyFrench  (30-04-2014),Fashionvictim  (30-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lili81 View Post
    However if you earn over $80k a year your salary and career alone are a good incentive to get back to work.
    Even if you need to pay an extra $800 in tax a year.
    Oh ok, I don't have a head for economics, but doesn't imposing a levy on big business filter down to the consumer anyway as they pass the buck? I suppose I just see it all as shuffling money around and disguising it as something else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lili81 View Post
    However if you earn over $80k a year your salary and career alone are a good incentive to get back to work.
    Even if you need to pay an extra $800 in tax a year.
    Well one would think so in theory...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelbel29 View Post
    Agreed, I've already enrolled my unborn baby into a few child care centres. But not sure it'll be worth it as it is so expensive, plus petrol of 3 hour commute to work and parking. Pretty much means there won't be much left over.
    A few people I have spoke to also think this ppl scheme won't come into effect if the debt tax also comes into effect
    Yeah the one I have enrolled into will pretty much take most of my money after a day at uni (I am a postgrad student) prior to any rebates. If it was paid work (middle income or less) and not study I was going back for, I am not sure I'd bother going back tbh.

Edit: I just did the maths - it will actually cost me more to send my baby to CC than to go back to study, without factoring in petrol and parking costs (and before the rebates)!!!
    Last edited by Pearlygirl; 30-04-2014 at 12:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @Fleetwood Most big business that will be impacted by this tax are already paying maternity leave to their employee.

They will remove this as it would get replaced by the gvt PPL.

Hence offsetting partially the new tax. Won't impact customers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @Pearlygirl it might pay to look further into your career and think about your super too.

You might not be making much money during childcare years but your salary should increase with experience and performance.

For the vast majority of people salary is and will be their greatest financial asset ever.

Also childcare cost should be supported by both parents salaries - not just the mothers. So when doing your calculation, take 50% of the childcare costs against your work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I will be going back - I'm halfway through my phd so I may as well finish it, plus my salary will be a lot higher once I finish than if I don't go back. Just mind boggling how much childcare costs! Its difficult on a stipend - the money is atrocious and I don't qualify for any PPL, but I should qualify for low income earner benefits, fta ftb and any other CL family stuff I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Full-time my daycare would be $32,500 or $25k after rebate.

He goes 4 days so it's $26k or $18.5k after rebate.

No CCB. That's out of post tax salary of course. So you need to earn a pretty decent salary to even consider using daycare to go to work! It's ridiculous.

The fact that it's not at least tax deductible is ludicrous.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Pearlygirl  (30-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My current salary is only 38k before tax. I spend about 9 k a year on petrol and parking.
    So even with the current rebate makes going back to work not worth it at all.
    I will be doing my best to try and get a job doing night shift anywhere so we don't have to spend money on child care .