+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Rib pain

Im 29 weeks and 3 days & ive started getting pain in my rib cage. Its on both sides, especially at the front under my breasts, but I get some at the back too. It seems to be worse when I sit down.

Im also finding the weight of my breasts now pushes down on my rib cage which makes the pain worse. The band of my bra always seems to dig in now, no matter now much I losen it (bra extenders etc).

Is this normal? What can I do about it? its pretty uncomfortable

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Heartstringz,

I'm sorry to hear you have been having the rib pain too.

My ribs were pretty painful at 16wks but after a few days it wasn't so bad and then it just hurt every so often. I mentioned it to my obs and he said it wasn't pregnancy related as bub wouldn't have been up that high that early on. I still think the pain was from my ribs expanding and maybe my organs pushing up to make room for the baby. For the past month or so, the pain is back and you are right, it's worse when sitting down, working kills me some days!! Mine is on my right side and at both the back and front & now that the baby is higher up, it could be due to kicks. I've also heard from another pregnant lady who has the same pains and her midwife told her that regardless of whether the baby is kicking into your ribs, that it is expected first time mums to get this pain in their ribs. She said she was told that the side your baby normally sits on in the womb, it's common for your ribs to hurt as a result, as everything is pushed around on that side. This makes sense for me, as I mainly feel bub on my right side. Maybe your baby doesn't have a specific side that it sits on so both sides hurt?

Unfortunately, I haven't found anything that helps besides rest!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Heartstringz you may want to look at getting a wireless maternity bra sooner rather than later. I left it until I was 35 weeks and the relief was amazing!

My bub was breech and she's actually got a slight dent in her head from being wedged under my ribs, so I certainly sympathize. If the pain is mostly on one side, try laying on your opposite side to let gravity help you with some of the pressure.

Sent from my HTC One X using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Rib pain stinks, and unfortunately, it's been much worse with my second. I try and keep my posture as good as possible, because it's worse if I slump. I also avoid carrying heavy things on one shoulder, because I think it's my lack of core strength that is exacerbating the discomfort. I know once bub comes I'll need abdominal support, and will be doing rehab immediately to avoid additional back problems.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    thanks ladies!

Arlais, I'm wearing wireless bras already - there's definitely no way I could wear flexi-wire now they would dig in big time. I'll try lying down on the opposite side, can't believe I didn't think of that.

Annerley, as much as it is painful & annoying, I'm happy to hear that it's pretty normal! I think my baby likes the right side too, but maybe that day it was spreadeagled all the way across.

BigSurprise hope it doesn't get too bad for you!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to heartstringz For This Useful Post:

BigSurprise  (25-04-2014)

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had terrible rib pain before my third son was born, though I think I'd actually torn ligaments from a bad cough I'd gotten.

I normally avoid chiros like the plague, but i was kinda desperate, as I was at the point of finding it hard to breathe, and when i took up a friends suggestion, the chiro actually managed to adjust me to the point that breathing was fairly ok again, and the pain was lessened a lot.

i used quite warm wheat packs on the painful spot, and that seemed to help quite considerably. The masochistic child decided to stay put until 42 weeks as well, and was over 9lb when born...

Fingers crossed it eases for you.