+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Ideas for indoor activities with a 2 year old??

Now it's a bit colder I'm tending to stay indoors more with my 2 year old.

It hard not to have the tv going but I was wondering what everyone does activity wise? Any easy fun ideas?

We do colouring books, reading & going to try play dough shortly.

Love to hear your suggestions :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Painting/finger paint
    Shaving cream on a play table
    Large dry pasta (e.g. penne/bows) in a small tub (NEW, Clean kitty litter trays are perfect) with small cups/containers, cars, trucks etc..My son LOVED using his smallish dump truck and front end loaders...
    dancing
    blocks/duplo
    dressups
    pretend play/role play - dressing, feeding, bathing dolls, playing with trucks/cars.
    Build a cubby house - a cot sheet over a chair/box is awesome fun, easy, and simple to clean up.
    Playing in boxes

Dont be afraid to bring the outside toys inside!!
    We had a small foldable plastic slide from bunnings i often brought into our lounge, also his mini trampoline...for those days where they just want to move but its so cold and wet that the thought makes you feel ill!
    We also have 1 small quiet ride on bike thats always allowed inside/under cover, but not OUTside
    Ball play (we use our hallway as theres no windows) with a soft ball and kick/throw/catch there

Cooking - easy cake mix/pancakes/mini muffins/dinner - anything! just make sure you pre-prepare whatever you can so its basically, tip in, mix, and cook!

Dont be afraid to rug them up though and brave outside! Get gumboots and a raincoat/umbrella and jump in puddles, look at the garden (things are different when wet!) OR...my son just LOVES a loop on the local bus! It costs me like $1.10, its only about 3mins walk to the bus stop, and fills in an hour, its warm, and gets him out of the house!

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

French Pear  (24-04-2014),GreenMoon  (04-07-2014),HollyGolightly81  (05-07-2014),MsViking  (05-07-2014),VicPark  (05-07-2014),~Marigold~  (04-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks what great suggestions :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I love to go outside when it's cold! Get all rugged up in winter clothes and run around.

Inside we do blocks, reading, painting in the garage, play dough, drawing. My DS can play with his trucks for hours. Build cubby houses. Hide and seek.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My Ds loves play doh and building blocks.

Also lay out a piece of contact (sticky paper), you'll need bits of sticky tape in the corners to hold it down. And get your little one to stick on pom poms (all different sizes), leaves, petals, coloured paddle pop and matchsticks (from craft shops).
    You can seal it together with another piece of contact.

Also sticking stickers onto paper.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2BlueBirds For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (05-07-2014),VicPark  (05-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My DS goes stir crazy if he does not use up some energy during the day so when it's raining or really cold and we are stuck at home we dance or play hide and seek - or I also bring toys in from outside - we play bowling down the hallway ( we have a little tikes ten pin bowling set) and a mini basketball ring, he can ride his trike or crazy coupe in our back room plus we have a small jumping castle that fits in the back room which is great when it's raining and his cousins come over

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We like to do crafts and make things like cards, tickets (for our theatre) etc etc

We like to bake together and make up our own stories as well. We have plays and pretend it's the theatre and make paper aeroplanes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    * Coloured pom poms, small tongs and a muffin tin makes a great sorting activity that is great for pre writing skills and co-ordination.
    * Collect some seed pods, flowers, leaves etc from your garden and let him look at them. If you have a magnifying glass even better.
    * I add natural materials to my playdough activities to expand on the play.
    * Spaghetti, Penne and playdough makes a great threading activity. Stick the spaghetti sticks into some dough and thread the penne onto it.
    * A combination of paperclips and paper pieces in a plastic bottle, run a magnet around the outside and see what sticks.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tildy For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (05-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using The Bub Hub mobile app

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    My Ds loves play doh and building blocks.

Also lay out a piece of contact (sticky paper), you'll need bits of sticky tape in the corners to hold it down. And get your little one to stick on pom poms (all different sizes), leaves, petals, coloured paddle pop and matchsticks (from craft shops).
    You can seal it together with another piece of contact.

Also sticking stickers onto paper.
    I did the contact idea today
    Went to the $2 shop and bought bags of crafty stuff like sequins, pom poms, coloured matchsticks, stickers, plastic beads, coloured feathers etc and taped a piece of contact sticky side up to her table and she LOVED it!!!
    I also bought some storage containers to put everything in.
    Thanks for the great idea
    1404545205020.jpg
    1404545226799.jpg

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (05-07-2014),HollyGolightly81  (05-07-2014),Little Miss Sunshine  (06-07-2014)