+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    Speak for yourself. I can understand my baby's cues pretty damn well
    Genuine question...would you have stuck with SOS if you are a duncette like me who still struggles to interpret DS' cries 18 months later? Or do you think it's kind of foolproof in that sense because of the routine/structure it advocates?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Or they're complaining that their baby hardly sleeps and they're exhausted
    Or they've read it, tried it, realised it wasn't for their baby and chucked it in the bin.

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

babyla  (21-04-2014),BeeSam  (21-04-2014),callmedragon22  (21-04-2014),just her chameleon  (21-04-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (21-04-2014),Rutabaga  (22-04-2014),Sonja  (21-04-2014),Starfish30  (21-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadaca View Post
    At least controlled crying has you going in to the baby. From what I can remember Tizzie had you ignoring the child's 'sleep protesting cries'. Because we can all speak fluent baby. :-/
    Perhaps you should re-read the book before bagging it out?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Perhaps you should re-read the book before bagging it out?
    Why? Did I get it wrong?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Piyamj View Post
    I haven't read Save Our Sleep but in first 5 mths of DD's life I did lots of reading on the net regarding getting her to sleep better, as well as positive stories of how SOS helped. If bub catnapped or if she woke up 1 sleep cycle after bedtime I'd get all in a fluster about what I did wrong, how do I resettle, etc. I tried patting her/patting the mattress/ shushing/singing/cry in arms - all of those methods drive me batty. In hindsight I wish I had just chilled out about it.

It's frustrating I know. You've just got to chill out (easier said than done!). By boy woke early today (long story but hubby didn't swaddle bub...). I loosely followed guidance from the book to try and get some more sleep out of bub during the window. We had lovely snuggles on the lounge while bub napped some more... And hubby looked after ds1 and took care of the housework (hey I couldn't move as I didn't want to wake bub ).

Yes snuggles with mummy on the SOS routine... Shock horror!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (21-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    It really wasn't a statement I made to start an argument.
    But you really can't have an understanding of it unless you have read it. I can't really decide if I like something unless I experience it. .. like you can tell me about a book you've read. . the plot. . the characters. .. But unless I read it I can't fully understand it for myself.

I don't ascribe to it myself, as I said. I found parts helpful. But lots of people have used it with great success. And shouldn't be made to feel bad about following her routines.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Fair enough. I guess I never gave much priority to reading it because based on the main points I had observed it wasn't for me iykwim?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RastaMouse For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (21-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadaca View Post
    Why? Did I get it wrong?
    Yes. The book gives examples of what a protest cry is. I personally find it pretty easy to tell but if you don't go back and read the book. Then if you still can't tell then the guidance is clear: go to bub. My personal opinion if you can't tell a simple protest cry (aka grizzle) from an emotional one then the book isn't for you. Or rather you aren't for the book.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Acadaca  (21-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post
    Genuine question...would you have stuck with SOS if you are a duncette like me who still struggles to interpret DS' cries 18 months later? Or do you think it's kind of foolproof in that sense because of the routine/structure it advocates?
    Dd1's cues were pretty clear early on, I just used the book to stop catnapping.

Dd2 was much harder to read for various reasons and I did find it was a million times easier to understand her when I followed the recommendations with a few tweaks.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

harvs  (21-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Or they're complaining that their baby hardly sleeps and they're exhausted
    I don't think people who are avoiding controlled crying/SOS are saying they've got all the answers or that it's the easiest way to parent. They just know that leaving their baby to cry/protest isn't the answer for them.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Acadaca For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (22-04-2014),Mod-Nomsie  (22-04-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (21-04-2014),smallpotatoes  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Yes. The book gives examples of what a protest cry is. I personally find it pretty easy to tell but if you don't go back and read the book. Then if you still can't tell then the guidance is clear: go to bub. My personal opinion if you can't tell a simple protest cry (aka grizzle) from an emotional one then the book isn't for you. Or rather you aren't for the book.
    My kids only emotional cry. You're right, I'm not for the book. :-)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Acadaca For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (21-04-2014)