+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Aww, thanks @OurLittleBlessing
    She's currently sitting my knee watching TV. (We are having an inside day today because DS is sick).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

OurLittleBlessing  (23-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Quick snap poll: all the ladies on this thread:
    A) do you follow SOS
    B) how old are your kids and do they sleep through?

Me:

Yes I follow SOS. I use my common sense though I never follow anything else 100%.

Ds1: 2.5 slept through (7-7) from 12 weeks
    Ds2: 8 weeks still hit and miss (last 3 nights twice slept from 8ish-6:30am with a dream feed, last night woke at 4;30am)
    Question - what about the difficulties you have posted about that you were/are currently having now with your eldest son at bedtime?

A) no

B)
    DD1 - 4 months was when she slept through consistently every night but could put herself to sleep from 8 weeks

DS - used to only wake once for a feed overnight from birth, we bed shared for 3 months as he screamed every 20 mins the first night we brought him home. He could put himself to sleep at 3 months. Used to wake for a feed at about 10/11pm but slept through at 18 months. I didn't mind his waking at that time as I was still awake. He was a big baby (born 4.85kg) and is a big, tall boy now. Nearly 20kg at 3.

DD2 - slept through from birth. First long stint was 11pm-7am at less than a week old. Midwife who visited my house said I should've woken her. Pfft! Consistently slept through for up to 13 hours until 4 month sleep regression that lasted about 6 weeks.

DD1 - now aged 5 is still a great sleeper. Usually goes to bed between 6:30 and 7:30 and sleeps until 6:30.

DS - aged 3. And same time as DD1.

DD2 - aged 16 months. She goes to bed between 6/6:30 and sleeps until 7/7:30. She has a 2/3 hour nap during the day.

I work 3 days a week and I have to leave for work at 7:25. I need the older 2 kids to wake at 6:30 to make it on time. I often have to wake DD2 up at 7 so she can eat her breakfast in time for me to leave for work. The days I don't work, I let her sleep until when she wants.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Question - what about the difficulties you have posted about that you were/are currently having now with your eldest son at bedtime?

Oh he was being a big turkey once we moved him to a big boy bed! Upon self reflection a couple of 'errors' on my part:

* ignored the signs that ds1 was ready to give up his day nap or at least cut it back (he was farting around at bed time)
    * waited too long to introduce a big boy bed
    * tried to introduce a big boy bed too quickly (wanted to rush it before ds2 was born) meaning I couldn't follow SOS suggestions.
    * introduced a big boy bed at the same time as toilet training (a poo problem was causing problem with bed time ... Poo's on potty mostly now which means for an easier bed time).

He is much better now. We have cut his day nap right back at daycare and this has helped. He usually takes 10 minutes or so to settle and will only come out of the room once or not at all. Much better than the 20+ times at he start!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by LiterallyNoOne View Post
    I'm at the point where no book will help me. I'm back off to sleep school!!!! My DS no matter how hard I try or the things I do is still a terrible sleeper in his 13 weeks on earth he has slept through fully twice only!! It use to be pain causing it now it's just habit and I can't seem to break it.

Sent from my LG-D802T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    The medical term for 'sleeping through the night' is five straight hours. It's normal for a young baby to wake once or twice to eat.

Eta: sorry have just seem your other posts!
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 23-04-2014 at 16:42.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

LiterallyNoOne  (23-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quick snap poll: all the ladies on this thread:
    A) do you follow SOS
    B) how old are your kids and do they sleep through?

Me:

Yes I follow SOS. I use my common sense though I never follow anything else 100%.

Ds1: 2.5 slept through (7-7) from 12 weeks
    Ds2: 8 weeks still hit and miss (last 3 nights twice slept from 8ish-6:30am with a dream feed, last night woke at 4;30am)
    Haven't read SOS but I'm intrigued to, like I said earlier I like to read everything and take what I feel is appropriate.

I am using Jo Ryan's Baby Bliss, I feel it's a lot more realistic and doesn't make me feel like cr*p.

DS is 10 1/2 weeks and waking once or twice nightly. Last night he did 6.30/7-12.15 and then 5am for a quick feed and up at 6.30.

He was starting to only do once a night but I decided to try dream feeds again (not sure why when I knew they didn't work for him, hope for more convenience for me!) and I've messed him up, dream feeds definitely encourage him to wake more frequently and go less time between feeds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Haven't read SOS but I'm intrigued to, like I said earlier I like to read everything and take what I feel is appropriate.

I am using Jo Ryan's Baby Bliss, I feel it's a lot more realistic and doesn't make me feel like cr*p.

DS is 10 1/2 weeks and waking once or twice nightly. Last night he did 6.30/7-12.15 and then 5am for a quick feed and up at 6.30.

He was starting to only do once a night but I decided to try dream feeds again (not sure why when I knew they didn't work for him, hope for more convenience for me!) and I've messed him up, dream feeds definitely encourage him to wake more frequently and go less time between feeds.
    Dream feeds stuffed my eldest up too!! Never again!!

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just thought I'd give my answer to the "do you SOS and do your kids sleep through" question...

Eldest child aside, who had/has sensory issues, my second and third babies woke at night until they were toddlers/preschoolers, and no, I did not use SOS or any other 'training' method. Aren't I a sucker, you may say.... but the thing is, I don't care that my babies didn't sleep through. I did not expect that my babies should sleep through in a room on their own. I personally slept through perfectly well. Pop a baby in bed with you, have a boob out (for my 3rd bub), and we all slept pretty darned well indeed.
    It irks me that it doesn't occur to some people that some mothers don't see sleeping through as an important 'must-have', or as a competition, or a 'see how perfect my baby is' type thing.
    Some of us are perfectly fine with co-sleeping, or with waking to re-settle our babies every so often, because we all know they're not babies forever, and provided that mum isn't totally sleep deprived, it really is ok to have a baby that doesn't sleep from 7pm-7am!!
    Last edited by CMF; 23-04-2014 at 17:51.

10. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

ABigDeepBreath  (24-04-2014),AdornedWithCats  (23-04-2014),callmedragon22  (23-04-2014),DailyDiversion  (23-04-2014),DJ Nette  (23-04-2014),Electric Boogaloo  (23-04-2014),just her chameleon  (23-04-2014),Lauzy  (23-04-2014),misskittyfantastico  (23-04-2014),peanutmonkey  (23-04-2014),Piyamj  (23-04-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (23-04-2014),smallpotatoes  (23-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    I just thought I'd give my answer to the "do you SOS and do your kids sleep through" question...

Eldest child aside, who had/has sensory issues, my second and third babies woke at night until they were toddlers/preschoolers, and no, I did not use SOS or any other 'training' method. Aren't I a sucker, you may say.... but the thing is, I don't care that my babies didn't sleep through. I did not expect that my babies should sleep through in a room on their own. I personally slept through perfectly well. Pop a baby in bed with you, have a boob out (for my 3rd bub), and we all slept pretty darned well indeed.
    It irks me that it doesn't occur to some people that some mothers don't see sleeping through as an important 'must-have', or as a competition, or a 'see how perfect my baby is' type thing.
    Some of us are perfectly fine with co-sleeping, or with waking to re-settle our babies every so often, because we all know they're not babies forever, and provided that mum isn't totally sleep deprived, it really is ok to have a baby that doesn't sleep from 7pm-7am!!
    You said it so much better than me. Have tried replying but seem to get jumbled up!

I am perfectly ok with my baby needing me at night. I have ridiculously low supply and for my 11.5 month old to still be breastfeeding is AMAZING to me, because I didn't get past 6 weeks with my first two. The all night feeding helps to maintain my crappy supply and ensure we can keep going for as long as possible. Lying in bed right now feeding him to sleep while DS1 lies next to me drifting off to sleep. DD is asleep in her own room

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post

I will acknowledge your approach suits you and is a more than valid approach if you can acknowledge that to some mums the idea of co-sleeping and patting/rocking/feeding/having interrupted sleep/having your boob out all night is torture. And that for those mums, looking for ways to improve bubs sleep is desired.

Deal?

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Funnels  (23-04-2014),Missy RJ  (23-04-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (23-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will acknowledge your approach suits you and is a more than valid approach if you can acknowledge that to some mums the idea of co-sleeping and patting/rocking/feeding/having interrupted sleep/having your boob out all night is torture. And that for those mums, looking for ways to improve bubs sleep is desired.

Deal?
    Of course!
    I was only responding to the all too common presumption that all mums need their young infants to sleep through and that any mother not doing 'training' to fix the 'problem' is a sucker.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (23-04-2014),Atropos  (23-04-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (23-04-2014),smallpotatoes  (23-04-2014),VicPark  (23-04-2014)