+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post
    When DD had silent reflux we tried having her in our bed, she did not sleep, she thought it was play time.

So I fed to sleep at night - worst thing to do for a reflux bub. They snack feed, don't get a full feed and wake cranky.

My DD was never happy in the first 5 months of her life.

Unfortunately, none of these softer methods worked for her.
    Reflux babies are tough. Ive had 3, 1 silent, 2 x the normal vomit and mess kind. DS2 also had RSV and was hospitalised at 9 weeks and was basically sick non stop until he was around 2.5. DS3 spent the first 4 months of his life in my arms screaming which was no easy task with a 3yr old and 5yr old as well. So I really do understand how hard it is. You do what you have to do and whats right for your family. Everyone is different there is no one size fits all solution for parenting.

I think its great that you did what you had to do for your DD and the way you continue to do that (I remember reading in a recent thread about consistency to her routine and how well you stick to it, I think that must be tough at times and I think its really great.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

LiterallyNoOne  (23-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post
    When DD had silent reflux we tried having her in our bed, she did not sleep, she thought it was play time.

So I fed to sleep at night - worst thing to do for a reflux bub. They snack feed, don't get a full feed and wake cranky.

My DD was never happy in the first 5 months of her life.

Unfortunately, none of these softer methods worked for her.
    Yep this lol sounds like my DS

Sent from my LG-D802T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I think this is really the most important part in the whole sleeping through discussion. I personally didn't know this. Now I do I imagine things will be a lot different with a 2nd - crap or angel sleeper, I will cope better knowing that.
    I had no idea with DS1 either. I read every single book I could find and It impacted on me as a parent, I felt like a failure.

My DS2 was 100x worse than DS1. And yet I coped so well, that everyone assumed he was an angel baby who slept through etc. Second time around, armed with this knowledge is much easier

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    Aww thank you Rose&Aurelia, thats such a lovely thing to say! I feel we have very similar beliefs in most aspects of parenting.

I just want to be clear, while posting in this thread I am talking about my own choices for my own children. I think that if you make the choice to use SOS or any other parenting method, then you have obviously weighed up your options and made the choice that is best for your family. I completely respsect that.

I do however believe in making people aware that a tiny baby sleeping through the night is not the norm, that is isnt something that has to happen for you to be a good parent and that there are other ways to achieve better sleep for your babies, and that SOS not working on your baby is not a reflection on you as a parent. Routines really dont suit all babies

Thank you!!!! Finally someone from the anti/don't agree with SOS camp acknowledging this!

I'm all for doing what works and not implying others are bad parents for using a method outside of their personal comfort zone.

Just like SOS doesn't work for every baby, it sometimes can OP. So if you are comfortable with it, try it.

If it doesn't work with or without tweaks, try another method or book.

Don't let anyone make you feel bad for using a method that works for your son and family, what ever that might be.

With that, good luck SAGirl and I'm out.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (23-04-2014),Kellbell85  (23-04-2014),peanutmonkey  (23-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    Lol you keep saying its not normal. It is normal for many babies and people. especially at 11 months old.

Totally disagree. An 11 month old, in the absence of a medical condition, waking every 2 Hours at night is not normal and most times is preventable. Advising someone that this is normal is dangerous.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Missy RJ  (23-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Advising someone that this is abnormal can be damaging. Sure if someone is worried they should speak to a health professional. But it certainly isnt true that if a baby is waking 2 hourly at 11 months that there must be something wrong with him or her.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (23-04-2014),btmacxxx  (23-04-2014),Bubbles10  (23-04-2014),Busy-Bee  (23-04-2014),DailyDiversion  (23-04-2014),LoveLivesHere  (23-04-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (23-04-2014),smallpotatoes  (23-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My little one is now 4 and sleeps 7pm to 8am.
    At 6.30 she will ask to go to sleep..
    I know I sound like a bragging cow...
    But stay with me..

She was waking every 2 hours from birth to 2 years old.
    I don't know that it's normal but she went to drs and there was never anything wrong with her.

I now do shift work and tell Dd that she was awesome training for me. Lol

You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.
    Dr. Seuss

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Moltone For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (23-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Its the same old argument really, you believe that all babies over 6 months, in the absence of medical conditions, no longer require night feeds. I believe that all babies are different and develop different with different needs, especially considering 2 of my 3 children have needed night feeds past 6 months of age (I dont count DS3 in that as we only give him the bottle at 4:30am to help him back to sleep quickly before he wakes his brothers, he does not need this feed)

Im not going to change my mind on it. You're obviously not gojng to change your mind. We could discuss and argue til we're blue in the face so I will just agree to disagree with you.

14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (23-04-2014),btmacxxx  (23-04-2014),Bubbles10  (23-04-2014),CitrusRainxxx  (23-04-2014),ertgirl  (23-04-2014),LoveLivesHere  (23-04-2014),RipperRita  (23-04-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (23-04-2014),smallpotatoes  (23-04-2014),Star81  (23-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS slept through from about 12 weeks and still at 3.5 goes to bed at 8pm ( falls asleep in 5 mins) and wakes up roughly 8am - but I'm apparently in a naive denial as we co sleep and I cuddle him to sleep !
    I read all the sleep books when I was pregnant, as soon as baby arrived I tossed them all and went with my natural instincts and what worked for my baby and yes I also believe I was lucky as he was an "easy" baby for which I am very thankful!

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (23-04-2014),LiterallyNoOne  (23-04-2014),peanutmonkey  (23-04-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (23-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have nothing but love, support and empathy for parents of kids with sleep issues. I kinda lucked it in the sleep department and ended up with 2 fairly decent sleepers. Even my "bad sleeper" sleeps for 10 hours straight, she's just a PIA to get to sleep, but once she's asleep she is fine. My other one is a dream sleeper... Falls asleep with absolutely no fuss and sleeps all night. Has since a very young age. I've never had a really bad sleeper so I'm not sure the lengths I'd go but my motto in parenting in general is never to judge because you've never walked in their shoes. We all have different strengths and weakness's and cope with things differently. I remember spending the week at Ellen Barron sleep school (I was there for feeding issues) and I really take my hat off to those mothers, They were literally at their wits end and running on adrenaline alone. I don't know how they do it.

VP .. There really isn't a normal. I was a bad sleeper as a kid (right up until 6-7 yrs) and I remember being dragged off to drs because I wasn't "normal" and my mum coping flack over my sleep habits. I'm still a pretty rotten sleeper... I think it's related to anxiety and probably something I'm just predisposed to.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (23-04-2014)