+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    See after 4 kids I don't agree with this. Too many books become way too confusing and contradictory.
    Perhaps I'm just different. I am a very scientific type mind... I have to take in a heap of information, assess it, categorise it and then come up with a plan. I don't think I could come up with a good plan if I hadn't reviewed different styles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Perhaps I'm just different. I am a very scientific type mind... I have to take in a heap of information, assess it, categorise it and then come up with a plan. I don't think I could come up with a good plan if I hadn't reviewed different styles.
    I'm the same and read HEAPS of books, made heaps of plans, wrote stuff down, made determined plans, but none ever fitted. It did my head in. When I chilled out and stopped thinking about other people 'a ideas it fell into place. This ****ed me off as it's exactly what my mil and mum had told me from the word go. Had to admit they knew more than the authors. :-/

It's great when a book/plan works for some though. I would have loved for something to just click.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Acadaca For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (22-04-2014),smallpotatoes  (22-04-2014),Starfish30  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Iwill start by saying I havent read SOS but I think that it would depend on your child. I have no doubt that some babies do grizzle to let off steam before falling to sleep themselves. My baby is NOT one of them. If I was to put her down she might grizzle for a bit but that quickly turns to crying then hysteria and there is no way there is falling asleep by herself. My bub needs a bit more help to fall asleep and thats ok. Some bubs arecgood sleepers and some arent as @BlueLips said sleeping through is developmental and all babies develop at different rates. Some babies can roll at 3mths some 6mths etc. IMO finding the sleep method that works for your bub and work with that... well thats my plan.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You need to stand up for your kids and say no to them giving their bed up!

Sorry but your relatives aren't following SOS. They are idiots.
    They really thought they were doing the right thing. This is the issue tho. So many people take TH literally. Her book mandates her way or you are doing the wrong thing for ALL babies. The other books/authors tho often say that it may not suit your kids/lifestyle etc.

Don't worry VP. I don't expect my kids to sleep thru Xmas lunch. We all went for a nap post food. Curled up together in the big bed with dhs snores to lull us to sleep.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wow there are a lot of replies to this! I only wrote it yesterday and I haven't had time to come back and check for replies.

Looks like I'm spending the arvo reading. haha thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Although I cuddle to sleep and won't let my baby cry I will admit to being harsher once they are over 1. I think less than 1 they need you and aren't manipulating you. After 1, especially after 2 they know how to play you.

Over 1 grizzling versus crying is if you go in and they stop immediately and start smiling. If it was true crying they need a cuddle to stop.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    Those that follow it can I ask as an adult to you have some water beside your bedside at night, do you drink it, exact same time? Do you wake up and fall asleep ( fall not go to bed) exact same time each night? Do you eat at the exact same time? What happens if your hungry or thirsty in between those times? Do you reach for a glass of water or have a snack?

I guarantee NONE of you follow such strict routines as adults, so why implement such cruelty onto an innocent who's only way to tell you they are thirsty is to cry.
    How is it implementing cruelty by encouraging my baby to get a solid sleep compared to broken sleep? Or by getting her to have a full feed so she has enough energy to play?

If she's hungry outside her routine feed time, I top her up. If she's tired before her routine sleep time, I put her to bed. TH does actually say that you should feed do what I just mentioned so I don't know what your point is.

Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    I always find interesting (puzzling?) this talk of grizzling vs crying, and how this crying is not crying, it's grizzling, and that the baby is not crying but you need to learn the difference between cries.... IMO a cry is a cry is a cry, especially for tiny babies. It's like when people argue they're controlled comforting and NOT controlled crying, or when people say they would NEVER smack but they do tap. It's all words really, different words for the same thing...
    For dd2 there is a distinct difference between all of her sounds;

She grizzles when she's going off to sleep (whether I'm cuddling or shh'ing her)
    She squeals when she has a dirty nappy
    She cries when she's in pain
    She yells when she's hungry
    She makes a funny loud 'Ahhh' sound to let you know that she's awake
    Then there's her happy chattering

10. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    From what I read here it sounds like no one is following SOS to the letter but rather using it as a guide while following SOS as a rough guide.

I read it and thought this military schedule was ridiculous. I wouldn't live like that and I wouldn't expect a baby to live by the clock either. They are only humans with feelings and emotions after all

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We used her routines as a guide. Chose the methods that would work for us and our baby plus a toddler.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Btw This type of misinformation and over dramatization ( "cruelty" ... Really?) does not help the discussion.
    Totally agree. Stop calling other people's family/friends idiots as well then :-)

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

BeeSam  (22-04-2014),BigRedV  (22-04-2014),btmacxxx  (22-04-2014),Clementine Grace  (22-04-2014),DJ Nette  (22-04-2014),Elijahs Mum  (22-04-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (22-04-2014),Wise Enough  (22-04-2014)