+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Tizzy Hall didn't invent routines etc.

And I totally understand it. I just disagree with letting a 2 week old cry whilst drinking tea!

can I ask if everyone who has mentioned this point, is it the taking timeout for a cup of tea that upsets everyone?

It can be meant,literally or metaphorically. You don't actually have to make a hot beverage, it just gives an idea of long that interval is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Xmas 2010. Levi was 20mths old and Oscar 10wks. My dd1 was 16-17wks old. My sleeping child was booted out of her portacot so Levi would sleep around 1pm ish. He proceeded to scream for close to 35min cos he could obviously hear the festivities and didn't want to sleep. Oscar was left in another portacot in the other room and was left to scream until how ever many minutes were over then mum attended to him briefly. When mil suggested he needed a top up as he sounded hungry she got told rather rudely that bub wasn't due for a feed till after his sleep. Lunch was very uncomfortable with two screaming kids in the background.

Thankfully my baby just boobed at the table and slept in my arms.

Xmas 2013. Oscar is now 3 and Bella 9mths. I have a 3yr &18 mth old. Once again Bella was left to sleep thru a very noisy lunch (which she didn't) Oscar was put to bed halfway thru lunch and missed dessert. Both weren't happy and once again both my kids lost their beds for their naps but then they slept on our bed after lunch.

Yes @VicPark there are idiots out there who follow TH exactly.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.
    You need to stand up for your kids and say no to them giving their bed up!

Sorry but your relatives aren't following SOS. They are idiots.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post
    can I ask if everyone who has mentioned this point, is it the taking timeout for a cup of tea that upsets everyone?

It can be meant,literally or metaphorically. You don't actually have to make a hot beverage, it just gives an idea of long that interval is.
    I can only speak for myself. I know she means to give an idea of the length of time involved. Before I did it I timed how long it took a full jug to boil. For me that was way too long to leave a baby. I knew I couldn't do that if I had a gun to my head.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    Those that follow it can I ask as an adult to you have some water beside your bedside at night, do you drink it, exact same time? Do you wake up and fall asleep ( fall not go to bed) exact same time each night? Do you eat at the exact same time? What happens if your hungry or thirsty in between those times? Do you reach for a glass of water or have a snack?

I guarantee NONE of you follow such strict routines as adults, so why implement such cruelty onto an innocent who's only way to tell you they are thirsty is to cry.
    I had a drink on my bedside table when I was pregnant, not now. As per the SOS book if my bub was hungry outside of scheduled feed times then of course I would feed him. It's early days with ds2 but with ds1 he rarely wanted a drink outside the scheduled feed times as they suited his needs pretty well. Infact prior to going on the routine bub used to wake crying for a feed quite often. Didn't need to once on the routine though.

Btw This type of misinformation and over dramatization ( "cruelty" ... Really?) does not help the discussion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Can I just say one thing on this.

OP I have gathered from many of your posts that you're doing it tough with a toddler and a newborn with sleep issues. I read Harvey Karp's Happiest Baby on the Block until the spine fell off with all my kids. It was a godsend during the early months.

Maybe dig around and find that. Routine books can be great but when read by an already sleep deprived mind can be destructive. Even advocates of SOS on here call people following it too strictly "idiots". How do you know where to draw th line when you're so tired from sleep deprivation you can't function?

Can you contact Tressilian for some guidance as well? Good luck. My youngest is almost 9 months old now and I find myself nostalgic for the newborn stage until I remember what damn hard work it really is.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

#Mama  (22-04-2014),ArthurDent  (22-04-2014),Atropos  (22-04-2014),btmacxxx  (22-04-2014),duckduckgoose  (22-04-2014),harvs  (22-04-2014),VicPark  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Oh crap! I was just thinking how in the end my bub went down well for his morning nap. Then I realised the baby monitor wasn't turn on. Doh. It was turned off for at least 7 cups of tea. Just checked on him and he is fine. Might to make a cup of tea now...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Like all sleep training/routine books, it's not going to work for everyone. It worked great for my friend, but in saying that her baby was never cried much and was an 'easy' baby so it wasn't as hard to get into a routine.

I gave it a go, but my boy just didnt take to it and he eventually fell into his own little routine which is great now. I think reading her routines are a good guide to know how long baby tends to be awake for etc at certain ages. But of course it's just a guide.

One thing I don't understand is how you can breastfeed a baby according to a schedule... Sometimes babies have small feeds, other times larger feeds... So when so young I don't see how they can go in a feeding schedule...sleep, yeah...but not feeding.

I think how your baby responds decides your opinion of SOS. I personally wouldn't try it again as I didn't have a good experience with it, but I wouldn't condemn the book - because it obviously works well for others.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kellbell85 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (22-04-2014),Little Miss Sunshine  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I always find interesting (puzzling?) this talk of grizzling vs crying, and how this crying is not crying, it's grizzling, and that the baby is not crying but you need to learn the difference between cries.... IMO a cry is a cry is a cry, especially for tiny babies. It's like when people argue they're controlled comforting and NOT controlled crying, or when people say they would NEVER smack but they do tap. It's all words really, different words for the same thing...

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (22-04-2014),Bubbles10  (22-04-2014),CitrusRainxxx  (22-04-2014),duckduckgoose  (22-04-2014),just her chameleon  (22-04-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (22-04-2014),Starfish30  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Can I just say one thing on this.

OP I have gathered from many of your posts that you're doing it tough with a toddler and a newborn with sleep issues. I read Harvey Karp's Happiest Baby on the Block until the spine fell off with all my kids. It was a godsend during the early months.

Maybe dig around and find that. Routine books can be great but when read by an already sleep deprived mind can be destructive. Even advocates of SOS on here call people following it too strictly "idiots". How do you know where to draw th line when you're so tired from sleep deprivation you can't function?

Can you contact Tressilian for some guidance as well? Good luck. My youngest is almost 9 months old now and I find myself nostalgic for the newborn stage until I remember what damn hard work it really is.
    Good advice. I would add one thing: ger your hands on a range of different baby books (second hand if you can). Read through them. See what makes send to you and fits in with your lifestyle. I have a heap of books (baby whisperer, baby love, dr wears) and took bits and pieces from each before settling on SOS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Good advice. I would add one thing: ger your hands on a range of different baby books (second hand if you can). Read through them. See what makes send to you and fits in with your lifestyle. I have a heap of books (baby whisperer, baby love, dr wears) and took bits and pieces from each before settling on SOS.
    See after 4 kids I don't agree with this. Too many books become way too confusing and contradictory.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (22-04-2014),peanutmonkey  (22-04-2014)