+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I found it very difficult to distinguish between a grizzle and a cry - DS is a belter so that's another reason it wasn't for me - I couldn't interpret it properly
    I was the same with my DS until I went to sleep school. Having the nurse sit with me and help distinguish the cries meant I felt so much confidence with my next baby and leaving her to grizzle. I haven't read the book, I got my tips from a combination of 'Baby Bliss' and sleep school and use what I feel I need to. After 16mths of extreme sleep deprivation, I am a major advocate for sleep training. I don't think I'd start with a newborn though as going into having a baby I think it's normal to expect some loss of sleep. I do start a night time routine from day one though so baby is aware of what comes next and it helps to distinguish between the day/night patterns which ultimately leads to longer sleep (hopefully!). I think lack of sleep is so detrimental to both mother AND baby. People see sleep training as selfish as the mother wants more sleep but after my experience with sleep school it is actually so bad for the child to be getting broken sleep as well. We wonder why our children are cranky sometimes, it's worth asking the question - "how do they sleep at night?"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I'm not done reading the thread yet and I haven't yet read the book. I am intrigued to as I'm the type of person that reads EVERYTHING and takes from it what I feel is appropriate.

As a nanny/night nanny/doula/ I've done controlled crying many times and I don't think it's bad, it's giving a baby an opportunity to self settle but comforting them if needed.

I have a friend currently using SOS, our babies are the same age so we're constantly back and forth about what we're going through and what we're trying.

I messaged her a little video of DS crying over the monitor, to me it was clearly a distressed cry but she felt that it was only 'grizzling' (protest cry) because he didn't have tears. Is she interpreting Tizzie's message wrongly? He may not have had tears but he was definitely distressed (hot, coughing, etc). Like you, I think I can tell the difference between him grizzling and crying.

!
    Sounds like your friend doesn't know the difference between the cries.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Either you are exaggerating our your Dh's cousin is a nincompoop. Plenty of people on SOS have flexibility for social functions. It doesn't take much to tweak the routine. I for one never missed a mothers group despite the meeting time not being best for the routine.
    Xmas 2010. Levi was 20mths old and Oscar 10wks. My dd1 was 16-17wks old. My sleeping child was booted out of her portacot so Levi would sleep around 1pm ish. He proceeded to scream for close to 35min cos he could obviously hear the festivities and didn't want to sleep. Oscar was left in another portacot in the other room and was left to scream until how ever many minutes were over then mum attended to him briefly. When mil suggested he needed a top up as he sounded hungry she got told rather rudely that bub wasn't due for a feed till after his sleep. Lunch was very uncomfortable with two screaming kids in the background.

Thankfully my baby just boobed at the table and slept in my arms.

Xmas 2013. Oscar is now 3 and Bella 9mths. I have a 3yr &18 mth old. Once again Bella was left to sleep thru a very noisy lunch (which she didn't) Oscar was put to bed halfway thru lunch and missed dessert. Both weren't happy and once again both my kids lost their beds for their naps but then they slept on our bed after lunch.

Yes @VicPark there are idiots out there who follow TH exactly.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by FlipFlop View Post
    I was the same with my DS until I went to sleep school. Having the nurse sit with me and help distinguish the cries meant I felt so much confidence with my next baby and leaving her to grizzle. I haven't read the book, I got my tips from a combination of 'Baby Bliss' and sleep school and use what I feel I need to. After 16mths of extreme sleep deprivation, I am a major advocate for sleep training. I don't think I'd start with a newborn though as going into having a baby I think it's normal to expect some loss of sleep. I do start a night time routine from day one though so baby is aware of what comes next and it helps to distinguish between the day/night patterns which ultimately leads to longer sleep (hopefully!). I think lack of sleep is so detrimental to both mother AND baby. People see sleep training as selfish as the mother wants more sleep but after my experience with sleep school it is actually so bad for the child to be getting broken sleep as well. We wonder why our children are cranky sometimes, it's worth asking the question - "how do they sleep at night?"
    This! DS1 was a terrible sleeper until I implemented Baby Bliss and we went to sleep school at 11 months. I've been using those techniques for DS2 since 6 weeks and he's been sleeping 7-7 since 12 weeks. Fully breastfed. Although I don't think it's completely down to the routine, I believe all babies are different and some don't sleep as well as others.

I haven't read SOS so I can't comment. I have read The Gift Of Sleep (which I consider to be CIO). It was during a particularly bad time with DS1, so I was desperate. But it made me feel sick so I didn't follow it at all.

Sent from my XT925 using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamilicious For This Useful Post:

FlipFlop  (22-04-2014)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Well I go away for a few hours and it's not a surprise how this turned out. People who really haven't read the book properly making judgement. So glad I didn't give up my first post bub shag to play with this thread all night!

On this Easter Monday god bless the believers and non-believers!
    VP, genuine question...

How was it?!

No, but seriously, you do realise that there are some of us on here who *have* read it properly don't you? I know it's worked really well for you, with the tweaks you've added, but your go to seems to be that anyone that criticises it a) hasn't read it or b) didn't get it.

For those many people out there who you acknowledge may have read it but are for whatever reason implementing it incorrectly in your opinion, don't you think some of the responsibility needs to lie with the book?

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Acadaca  (22-04-2014),BigRedV  (22-04-2014),btmacxxx  (22-04-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (22-04-2014),Starfish30  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Tizzy Hall didn't invent routines etc.

!
    Oh no, ive been conned!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Acadaca  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post

No, but seriously, you do realise that there are some of us on here who *have* read it properly don't you? I know it's worked really well for you, with the tweaks you've added, but your go to seems to be that anyone that criticises it a) hasn't read it or b) didn't get it.

For those many people out there who you acknowledge may have read it but are for whatever reason implementing it incorrectly in your opinion, don't you think some of the responsibility needs to lie with the book?
    I agree there are a small number of people who have read there book properly. Some of them bring up some good points which I agree with (although I haven't seen as many on this thread as other threads which is a little disappointing). I mostly find however that some parents are blinded by their own ingrained and predetermined philosophy that they will never be in agreeance with the book. And Instead of just acknowledging that is not inline with their style they pick and choose bits, misinterpret, twist the facts and over dramatize in an effort to prove their parenting/sleep style is the best. It's funny how often in other threads a parent will suggest something that they don't realise is in the SOS book.

If someone said these few bits I get and agree with but these others I don't for XYZ reason, then I would have more respect for their views and be more convinced they has actually read and understood the book. Cherry picking, over-dramatization and name calling is a sign to me that someone is looking at the issue with biased glasses and without really understanding the topic.

So to answer your question there are some things that need to be improved in the book however I think most changes would fall on deaf ears as the naysayers have already made their minds up.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (22-04-2014),harvs  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post
    VP, genuine question...

How was it?!
    Not too bad. About a 7/10.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Acadaca  (22-04-2014),harvs  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Incase anyone is interested my fully breastfed 8 week old slept from 7:30pm - 6:45am with a dreamfeed at 10.30. He has cried a bit this morning but only because I was late putting him down (toddler.... Need I say more). And he hasn't gone hungry and I haven't left him to cry hysterically.

I will try not to get too cocky incase it all goes tits up!
    Last edited by VicPark; 22-04-2014 at 09:41.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Acadaca  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Those that follow it can I ask as an adult to you have some water beside your bedside at night, do you drink it, exact same time? Do you wake up and fall asleep ( fall not go to bed) exact same time each night? Do you eat at the exact same time? What happens if your hungry or thirsty in between those times? Do you reach for a glass of water or have a snack?

I guarantee NONE of you follow such strict routines as adults, so why implement such cruelty onto an innocent who's only way to tell you they are thirsty is to cry.

17. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (22-04-2014),Busy-Bee  (22-04-2014),CitrusRainxxx  (22-04-2014),Clementine Grace  (22-04-2014),just her chameleon  (22-04-2014),LaDiDah  (22-04-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (22-04-2014),SAgirl  (23-04-2014),Starfish30  (22-04-2014)