+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Well I go away for a few hours and it's not a surprise how this turned out. People who really haven't read the book properly making judgement. So glad I didn't give up my first post bub shag to play with this thread all night!

On this Easter Monday god bless the believers and non-believers!
    TMI
    Lmao....

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

Acadaca  (21-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    Can i ask a question about tizzie hall's sleep training. What do you do when your baby pulls to stand in the cot? i've always wondered how that works. My fella would do laps of the cot from 7 months, even in a sleeping bag and there is just no way he'd ever lie down and put his head down and go to sleep. Probably only if i left him to scream for an hour and it was out of sheer exhaustion (which i'd never do). Prob another thread, but have always wondered.
    Did anyone answer you? I actually remember this one.

I generally don't follow Tizzie Hall's approach but on this aspect she helped me. From memory (and it was a long time ago I used it) when a baby keeps getting up, you sit beside the cot and let her stand fully up, then scoop her up, give them a cuddle (I might have added that part) and then lie her back down and shush and pat. As soon as she tris to stand up again, let her do this then repeat the same comforting approach. Her explanation was every time a baby stand up fully they tire themselves, and if you let them get themselves up every time they will soon become too tired to stand and will fall asleep. You are with them and comfort them, but don't stop them getting up.

We did this with DD1 and the first time she got up nearly 25 times, the second sleep was about 12 and the 3rd sleep twice. She didn't do it after that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Well I go away for a few hours and it's not a surprise how this turned out. People who really haven't read the book properly making judgement. So glad I didn't give up my first post bub shag to play with this thread all night!

On this Easter Monday god bless the believers and non-believers!
    Oh how you prove a point you funny duck.
    Happy sex to ya!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (22-04-2014),duckduckgoose  (21-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    Not that I even did this part, but she isn't advocating leaving a baby to cry. She is referring to 'protest crying' (gosh I hate that term, because I really don't believe it's a form of crying) which is so very different, it's the sound both girls have made as a way to get themselves off to sleep.
    I'm not done reading the thread yet and I haven't yet read the book. I am intrigued to as I'm the type of person that reads EVERYTHING and takes from it what I feel is appropriate.

As a nanny/night nanny/doula/ I've done controlled crying many times and I don't think it's bad, it's giving a baby an opportunity to self settle but comforting them if needed.

I have a friend currently using SOS, our babies are the same age so we're constantly back and forth about what we're going through and what we're trying.

I messaged her a little video of DS crying over the monitor, to me it was clearly a distressed cry but she felt that it was only 'grizzling' (protest cry) because he didn't have tears. Is she interpreting Tizzie's message wrongly? He may not have had tears but he was definitely distressed (hot, coughing, etc). Like you, I think I can tell the difference between him grizzling and crying.

I'm happy to let him grizzle but not properly cry for four minutes (coming from my friend). This particular day I was feeling overwhelmed with resettling, hence leaving him until actually crying. Definitely not up for doing it again!

Eta: I also love a routine, as a nanny it's how my days went and everybody was always happy and calm knowing what to expect next. I think that's what I struggle the most with now, I almost wish I didn't have so much experience and expectations of how things can be because trying to do it as a breastfeeding mom is much harder than doing it as a nanny that gets to go home at the end of the day or night!

We do have a loose routine right now, definitely one at night and he sleeps well I think, it's the current phase of catnaps that are doing my head in!
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 22-04-2014 at 06:46.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (22-04-2014),~Marigold~  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    How do I unsubscribe from this thread? I'm finding it way to disturbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've read only the routines but never used the book otherwise. I can say that because my DS cries so much I have had to leave him for a minute to breath then head back in the to try settle him again. I believe babies do cry for a reason but find that reason could be as simple as crying to be held because that's what they are use to. Still they deserve to have their needs attended to and to have a cuddle when one is needed. My DS woke at 4.30 and wouldn't go back to sleep so I simply took him to my bed where I co sleep with DD 3 yrs and I put him next to me and just kept popping his dummy back in he was quite happy to lie there watching nothing lol

Sent from my LG-D802T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I've read it. A couple of times. But I dont follow it. I believe in instinctive parenting. My instincts tell me to pick my baby up and comfort him when he cries. So that's what I do.

I have 3 children. 2 didnt sleep through until at least 2.5. My littlest slept through at about 12 weeks. All parented similarly, but DS3 was cuddled to sleep and co-slept for 9 or so weeks. I actually believe that that helped him to feel safe and secure enough that he found the move to his cot quite easy.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found it very difficult to distinguish between a grizzle and a cry - DS is a belter so that's another reason it wasn't for me - I couldn't interpret it properly and I was left feeling confused, frustrated and tbh a bit depressed about how hard I found it all. When I just stopped trying to control everything it all fell into place much better for us.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Acadaca  (22-04-2014),HollyGolightly81  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I started ds2 on SOS today. It worked fantastically with DS1 who started sleeping through within days of starting it and who never had to cry for a feed and rarely cried at all actually...

Of course as with anything I will use my common sense. I never follow anything blindly 100%.

One frustrating thing is that most people on BH who bag out SOS don't really understand it. Many haven't read it. They criticise based on misinformation and bits and pieces that someone's Friends Aunty's mother told them. The funny thing is those same people, in other threads talk about certain things they do with bub and I smirk to myself "that's actually in the SOS book. If only you knew "
    Tizzy Hall didn't invent routines etc.

And I totally understand it. I just disagree with letting a 2 week old cry whilst drinking tea!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpancakes View Post
    I also think it's really hard training a kid to sleep when they're breastfed and for me the benefits of sleep (for baby and parent) outweigh the slight benefits of BF, so I'll be formula feeding my next baby.
    My first two were formula fed from 3-6 weeks old. My third is almost 12 months and still breastfeeding. He sleeps a little worse than the first two, but not by much! IME breast v bottle has had a negligible effect on kids sleeping habits.