+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post
    That was the part where I thought 'I'm out'. I don't drink tea :-)

Now, to be fair, it's possible that there is a range of ways that this book can be interpreted, going by what some other posters have said on here. But I have an issue with that too. It's all very well to dismiss someone as being an idiot because they've 'got it wrong', but there shouldn't be any room for that kind of misinterpretation if the book is written properly and expressed clearly. It's a diversion to say that everyone else is getting it wrong...
    100% right down to not drinking tea

2. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

harvs  (21-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post
    That was the part where I thought 'I'm out'. I don't drink tea :-)

Now, to be fair, it's possible that there is a range of ways that this book can be interpreted, going by what some other posters have said on here. But I have an issue with that too. It's all very well to dismiss someone as being an idiot because they've 'got it wrong', but there shouldn't be any room for that kind of misinterpretation if the book is written properly and expressed clearly. It's a diversion to say that everyone else is getting it wrong...
    I agree, almost everyone who says they followed SOS adds the disclaimer 'but I tweaked it' or 'but I used common sense'. You wouldn't need tweaking or common sense if the was suitable for everyone.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (21-04-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Yes, I've seen it many times. People disagree with the book and get told they read it wrong

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Acadaca  (21-04-2014),Boobycino  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    But as Kitty said, she's a pro at spin. On one hand she says there's a difference then tells parents to allow a vomiting child to cry alone bc it's manipulation. Clearly a small kid is pretty distressed to vomit. There are so many contradictions in her book. I remember reading it in my 2nd tri along with "What to expect when you are Expecting" and thinking wtf? this woman is insane! lol
    I read it when I was pregnant with DS. I went into it very open minded, in fact I'd heard good things about it. As I read, I didn't agree with a fair amount of the suggestions but tried to persevere. I think it was when I got to the vomiting part that I just couldn't read anymore. It made me feel ill.

I ended up just following DS' lead and he settled into his own routine and was a great sleeper and generally happy baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbie View Post
    think it was when I got to the vomiting part that I just couldn't read anymore. It made me feel ill.
    Yep that was the bit that had me wtf? Even as someone with no children but pg, that just rang alarm bells. I read probably 80% of it, purely bc I tend to be the sort of person that is a compulsive planner and wants to be educated. But I threw it in the bin and thought nope, that just doesn't feel right.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpancakes View Post
    I

I also think it's really hard training a kid to sleep when they're breastfed and for me the benefits of sleep (for baby and parent) outweigh the slight benefits of BF, so I'll be formula feeding my next baby.
    I think Atropos said it better than I can. But I wanted to put it out there that it is a myth formula fed babies sleep better. In fact it can give them more digestive discomfort and make it harder. It's not a magic fix.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acadaca For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (22-04-2014),VicPark  (21-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I would rather run on limited to no sleep that use SOS on my kids.

Dh's cousin use SOS on their kids. It's bloody painful. Whenever we visit them interstate we HAVE to go in their baby's awake time. Nevermind any other childs needs. Thankfully my two are easy going. They were shocked that dh and I have a social life as we often take our kids out to functions, weddings etc. Forget putting that routine on the kids! I certainly don't want to do the exact same thing every day!

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.
    Either you are exaggerating our your Dh's cousin is a nincompoop. Plenty of people on SOS have flexibility for social functions. It doesn't take much to tweak the routine. I for one never missed a mothers group despite the meeting time not being best for the routine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nette View Post
    I agree, almost everyone who says they followed SOS adds the disclaimer 'but I tweaked it' or 'but I used common sense'. You wouldn't need tweaking or common sense if the was suitable for everyone.
    What a ridiculous statement. Babies and parents are different there is no one book that is suitable for everyone. And no one book is 100% suitable for everyone.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (22-04-2014),Donnab739  (22-04-2014),Jenga  (22-04-2014),peanutmonkey  (22-04-2014),~Marigold~  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    is this the part in SOS?

1. If you are "really committed" you put the baby to bed (with a comforter of course), go to the kitchen, empty the kettle, re-fill it with cold water, boil it, make yourself a cup of tea, sit down and drink it. If at the end of your cup of tea your baby is still "protesting", go and see if there's a problem
    2. Option number 2 is is to "allow him to shout (cry) for a minimum of two minutes" although "the longer you stay out the better for your baby, as going in is more for your sake than your baby's".
    Different paragraphs in different editions. Giving more options. Sounds like she's read the research proving how damaging her practices are and has amended her book to avoid future law suits. Or am I too skeptical?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Acadaca For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Well I go away for a few hours and it's not a surprise how this turned out. People who really haven't read the book properly making judgement. So glad I didn't give up my first post bub shag to play with this thread all night!

On this Easter Monday god bless the believers and non-believers!