+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    I'm time poor, and so I've not read all replies, I apologise for that, especially if I am repeating anything. But I'm going to make this very simple.

Feminism isn't *just* about laws, it's about societal changes, laws may be put in place, but that doesn't make immediate nor easily accepted changes. Changes to society and the way it works take a very long time. Just look at racism as a prime example. Here we are in 2014, anti-racism laws have been around for a long time, and yet racism clearly still exists. Because society takes a long time to change.

Some easy examples about feminism, without it women wouldn't be able to:
    Vote
    Be educated
    Work outside of the home
    Work in previously made dominated industries (this is something that women STILL struggle with, however)
    Be able to remain single and not be a social outcast
    Be divorced
    Be safe guarded by the law from marital rape

There are MANY things we have thanks to feminism that we previously didn't have. Feminism is important. And it remains important. The fight against models/advertising portraying unrealistic body images - a feminist thing. Fighting for government funded maternity leave - a feminist thing.

I could go on, but yes, I wanted to make this simple. Feminism isn't *just* about equal pay. It's about acknowledging that women do awesome things - which is why we celebrate things like the Australian Woman of the Year. Celebrating women isn't anti-feminist. Feminism has nothing to do with chivalry. Chivalry is about manners, it's not saying that women can't open their own doors.

Feminism should be simple. Feminism is wanting there to be no legal, or social gaps, between men and women.
    ^this!!

Exactly what after much reading is now what feminism is to me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think that other women discounting something as serious as gender inequality is the EXACT reason why we need feminism.

The facts are that as a female you are more at risk of:

Sexual Abuse
    Domestic Violence
    Poverty
    Sexual harassment
    Discrimination

Just because you haven't experienced these issues, doesn't mean they aren't major issues in our society.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jakois For This Useful Post:

ChickyBee  (21-04-2014),Chillies  (21-04-2014),ExcuseMyFrench  (21-04-2014),Lillynix  (21-04-2014),Oblena  (21-04-2014)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lili81 View Post
    just read the thread this one was derived from and was surprised to see that Supre is called by some the "sl.t shop" or the "wh0re shop".

This is a comment made by women.

In another thread about a TV show, other posters were calling female characters they dislike to "go suck a d1ck" or something along those lines.

We need to start cleaning our own door step. Small step towards less violence directed to women.

Thank you. That really sat very badly with me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post
    Lastly too, personal responsibility I talk about applies to in the workplace, by no means do I apply this to any form of domestic violence or sexual abuse
    So an under educated, non skilled woman should take personal responsibility for her working conditions? I would suggest that there are a lot of workers (male and female) who are in fear of losing their jobs if they rock the boat so they don't act. It is not always that simple. You are casual, you question a decision by management or the behaviours of your upline and then you get less shifts. Hod do you take personal responsibility for that?
    Last edited by SpecialPatrolGroup; 21-04-2014 at 17:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ok, I haven't read all the replies, so apologise of I repeat anything. We need gender equality, we are so much better than many other countries, but not there yet. If you honestly think as a woman you have not been discriminated against, lucky you. But you are probably wrong. Its still a mans world. You only have to look at women in the media to see this.

As for holding doors, that's manners. If I get to a door first I hold it open for someone regardless of gender. I may ask someone to help me lift/ move something. This is based on physical strength, not gender.

Hoping for a more equal society for our children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post
    So promotion of a man in the boys club, absolutely! I have also seen it in my team where a female colleague who was well known in our team as being lazy and hopeless in her role was part of the womens professional development network who got a promotion without an interview to a position 2 levels above us. The boss in her new area was in the WPDN as was my colleague. I am not, I didn't even get a look in. It happens everywhere and not just to benefit men.

Mens drinks after work, yep, seen that too. Also do you ever go out with just the girls at work and don't invite the boys? What's the difference?

Ever gone out on a girls night without your partner?
    Or vice versa? Boys night without you? Nothing wrong with that either.
    Yes there are examples of it happening the other way. My point was that.it is MUCH more prevalent amongst men and that organizations exist without any outcry at all.

With the work drinks, I was the only female so no, I never went out for drinks with the girls. I've also worked with mostly females and if it was work drinks everyone available would come along.

Ss for a girls night out - that has nothing to do with it. It's purely social. Nothing to do with work , networking etc.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using The Bub Hub mobile app

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default Spinoff - feminism

You know, this thread is so fascinating to read. I don't dislike feminism in the slightest. I'm not feminist in an activist kind of way, but my mother is, and I try to make sure my students know about and celebrate the change feminism has brought to society. To me, true equality is about equal freedom of choice, right to education, and personal safety. So I think we are far from that.

I was telling my class about how SA was one of the first places in the world to give women the vote, and they were astounded that they didn't have it in the first place. One of my little boys said 'but my mum makes all the decisions anyway. When she's away dad can't even decide what to make for tea.' I don't want the next generation to grow up with no understanding of how far we've come, because without that there will be no dialogue on how much further we (as in a global society) need to go.

I also disappointed myself when I saw Julia Gillard speak at Young Leader's Day last month. As she was talking, and she was brilliant, by the way, I was distracted by how she was slimmer in real life and how I thought her hair was too boofy. I didn't once think about the appearance of the other (male) speakers. This stuff is just ingrained into us, it's in society, and I think it's so important to keep these conversations going. I think the prospect of a generation of women saying they don't like feminism is very dangerous, because who will fight for us then?

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (21-04-2014),Renn  (21-04-2014),sky1  (21-04-2014),Stretched  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Things that **** me off and tells me that feminism is still needed:

A male and I study for three years, do the same degree and apply for the same job. I'm penalised because I'm of breeding age, have a child and even if I get the job I will earn less then him. Why? He is also of breeding age, could have a child and has the same qualification that I do. In what crazy world does this make sense?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luna Lovegood For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (21-04-2014),Renn  (21-04-2014)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    And I just want to say Ally before I log off:

You are talking about how more women should return to the workforce. You do realise it was feminism that even allowed you to work in the first place? or to have the training needed to apply for the job you have. There are countries in the world where females aren't even allowed to be primary educated let alone have the power to have a job.

All the things you currently enjoy - working, being allowed to choose your husband, getting super, getting CL if heaven forbid your marriage failed or you lost your job, wearing the clothes you want. Being able to use birth control. All from feminism
    My mother is 83, when she was in her 20s and 30s women were expected and in some case required to give up their jobs when they got married. When she was in her early 20s (early 1950s) there was gossip in the office of one of their peers who was 'really old' and still working, she was 28 (obviously not married).

Quote Originally Posted by gamermummy View Post
    The only thing that annoys me about feminism is the statement "Women can do anything men can do." While I agree with it, it's very conditional.

Our bodies are built differently to males, both sexes can swing an axe for example... but 95% of the time a man is 'better' suited to cut down a tree. To say that we are equally suited for every job is wrong.
    Of course, I would agree. Women on the whole, do not have the physical strength that a man does. I see the message in the phrase as more of 'don't let being a women hold you back - go for it'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post

Of course, I would agree. Women on the whole, do not have the physical strength that a man does. I see the message in the phrase as more of 'don't let being a women hold you back - go for it'.
    Most physical jobs have a lifting weight of 16 kilo's.......most women carry their 16 kilo toddlers around without even thinking about this.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maxwell's Silver Hammer For This Useful Post:

ChickyBee  (21-04-2014),Ellewood  (21-04-2014),Fashionvictim  (21-04-2014),Stretched  (22-04-2014)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by tastychicken View Post
    Most physical jobs have a lifting weight of 16 kilo's.......most women carry their 16 kilo toddlers around without even thinking about this.
    I have a suspicion that most women are stronger than they think. I'm reasonably strong and do weight lifting. Just this weekend I put that to good use and DF and I manually broke up a concrete slab about 3m x 2.5m and loaded it piece by piece into a wheelbarrow, wheeled from the backyard to the front yard then lifted it piece by piece into a skip. We also knocked down 2 brick walls, again manually taking it piece by piece to the skip. We 3/4 filled a 6 cupic metre skip. *shows of biceps*