+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I believe there is a lot of sensationalism and misguided whinging when it comes to women being disadvantaged. A lot of the time the disadvantage comes from hair actions and life choices rather than someone treating them differently. Receiving special treatment is also counter productive.
    I have to agree with others that this reads as priviledge. I would never wish you (or anyone) any ill will but I can't help but feel that you may benefit from the humbling experience of having one of your fantastic choices turn around and bite you on the @rse.

We are so fortunate to sit here in our developed countries, on our electronic devices, using our remarkable literacy skills to communicate with other women. Much of this is because some very gutsy women took a stand.

I don't believe that we can rest on our laurels and say "yep, won that battle. Next!". There is still som many issues, like bodily autonomy, to see people responding to the news that Chelsea Clinton is pregnant and making snide comments about her *bunch of cells* with no recognition that the issue is about a woman having the right to choose; or the fact that our government in 2014 has only 1 female minister, while many other experienced female members of parliament remain on the back benches; still violence against women is an issue; still the rhetoric when a woman is raped is "oh, she must have asked for it/been walking down a dark street" etc etc. And as other have touched on, in other countries it is so much harder to be a woman. In saudi arabia a woman must have her husbands consent to have gynecological surgery.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (21-04-2014),delirium  (21-04-2014),DJ Nette  (21-04-2014),Fashionvictim  (21-04-2014),Gentoo  (21-04-2014),jesssalee  (21-04-2014),Lillynix  (21-04-2014),Stretched  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tastychicken View Post
    so no women are 6'10.... yes they are

if we said 5'8 and women vs man, carrying an 18 kilo toddler around?
    That is not what I said at all. All I was questioning is why would the 6'10 woman be 'more likely' to be stronger and able to kick the a$$ of a 6'10 man? I would argue they would be pretty similarly matched, given they have similar fitness levels.

I'm for equality, not belittling either, and to me, you statement read as anti-man.

Don't even get me started on how sexist it is to joke about a woman beating up a man, but if we made a joke about a woman being assulted by a man there would be outrage. True feminism is about equality, not considering women above men, or we're right back where we started

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    I have to agree with others that this reads as priviledge. I would never wish you (or anyone) any ill will but I can't help but feel that you may benefit from the humbling experience of having one of your fantastic choices turn around and bite you on the @rse.

We are so fortunate to sit here in our developed countries, on our electronic devices, using our remarkable literacy skills to communicate with other women. Much of this is because some very gutsy women took a stand.

I don't believe that we can rest on our laurels and say "yep, won that battle. Next!". There is still som many issues, like bodily autonomy, to see people responding to the news that Chelsea Clinton is pregnant and making snide comments about her *bunch of cells* with no recognition that the issue is about a woman having the right to choose; or the fact that our government in 2014 has only 1 female minister, while many other experienced female members of parliament remain on the back benches; still violence against women is an issue; still the rhetoric when a woman is raped is "oh, she must have asked for it/been walking down a dark street" etc etc. And as other have touched on, in other countries it is so much harder to be a woman. In saudi arabia a woman must have her husbands consent to have gynecological surgery.
    This, completely. Our feminist ancestors have made some steps forward, but we still have a way to go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's even the little day to day things. If a man/boy shows any sign of weakness he is labelled a girl or told to get the sand out of his vag. Its in the gaming industry where there are very few female leads and they are usually scantily dressed with flotation devices on their chest despite many female gamers complaining. Its boys talking about new female friends and the first questions/comments are "is she pretty?" or "you have a girlfriend." It is so ingrained into society on so many levels that it will take many years and a lot of work to change.

A woman got seriously sexually assaulted the same night as that kid died from a coward punch. The one news story about it dissected the fact that she was walking alone in the dark like that was the cause. Can we blame his death on his choice to be drunk in a notorious part of the city? Apparently its only societies fault when its a guy getting punched but its the girls fault she was assaulted. A "horrific incident" vs an "unfortunate accident" to quote from each news release.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tildy For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (22-04-2014),jesssalee  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well gosh.

There are some responses to this thread that have just floored me. Previous posters have said it better than I could, however anyone believing there is no place for feminism in our society should educate themselves before speaking.

I'd love to see a reality show where people might have to "walk the walk" so to speak. Try living in a world without feminism. The oppression of women is well documented, take the time to do some research.

That's probably as nicely as I could respond to this post sorry OP.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fashionvictim For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (21-04-2014)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Tildy View Post

A woman got seriously sexually assaulted the same night as that kid died from a coward punch. The one news story about it dissected the fact that she was walking alone in the dark like that was the cause. Can we blame his death on his choice to be drunk in a notorious part of the city? Apparently its only societies fault when its a guy getting punched but its the girls fault she was assaulted. A "horrific incident" vs an "unfortunate accident" to quote from each news release.
    And don't forget, one of the coward punch court cases was thrown out/sentence severely minimized BY A JUDGE because the puncher was lacking a significant male role model in his life... So, you know, his mum's fault, clearly...

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    3 words = Lingerie football leagues. You might say they choose to do it, but i wonder if they could have their athleticism recognised as widely in regular sporting attire, what might they choose?
    Last edited by SpecialPatrolGroup; 21-04-2014 at 23:30.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (21-04-2014),Tildy  (21-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    3 words = Lingerie football leagues. You might say they choose to do it, but i wonder if they could have their athleticism recognised as widely in regular sporting attire, what might they choose?
    Totally agree. It's terrible and demeaning. :-(. Then if you're offended as a woman it must be because you're jealous? Don't have the body/confidence to wear that in public?

It's terrible that women are made to feel so intimidated walking into 'professional' jobsites. I imagine there would be many men who would feel uncomfortable objectifying colleagues, but the backlash wouldn't make life easy. It seems the men in the homes of those 20% of women who are being abused are being given/taking a lot more power than they deserve. It's those kinds of men that reinforce the imbalance not only in their homes but in workplaces with other men as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    She/they choose it. Choices aren't made in a vacuum - we live in a patriarchal society, this is fact.

Imagine if we didn't.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

WorkingClassMum  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by jesssalee View Post
    Perfect example of the kind of 'feminism' most feminists hate. Why exactly would the female be most likely to be stronger when both male and female are the same height?

You are as bad as a sexist person when you make these kind of comments.
    Again, Misandry - not Feminism.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (22-04-2014)