+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Two thirds of the worlds illiterate people are female.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

SpecialPatrolGroup  (21-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by btmac View Post
    I will be really interested to hear your response @Sonja as I know we both work in the legal profession.

When I told my principal I was pregnant with DS2 (after having worked my but off for over 10 years trying to catch back up to my peers after DS1) he said to me - you know this will end your career don't you?

Trust me OP the 'idea' of equality is alive and well but the practice is sorely lacking in many professions.
    That's a horrible attitude and quite frankly it stinks. I'm in the legal field as well and I've been blessed that my principle has been so understanding.

I know a lot of people in the legal area though where your example is common place...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mellie29 For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    My DH works on commercial building sites. They're huge, thousands of workers/tradies - in 3 years he's seen 1 female tradie. The day she stepped on site all anybody commented on was how she looked, whether they'd fu$& her or whether she was a lesbian. Sexism is rife in many workplaces and that's another reason there's inequality.
    God, it ****es me off reading that. My old housemate is a motorcycle mechanic, and his workplace is the same. The attitude and the sexism is appalling, I can't imagine a woman wanting to work there even if they managed to be hired (highly unlikely).

I've had female students (high school kids) tell me they want to do a trade, but there are no female mechanics/they wouldn't be any good/they'd get picked on/noone would hire them etc. I don't think I've got much chance of quelling their fears if I can't even do the same myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    God, it ****es me off reading that. My old housemate is a motorcycle mechanic, and his workplace is the same. The attitude and the sexism is appalling, I can't imagine a woman wanting to work there even if they managed to be hired (highly unlikely).

I've had female students (high school kids) tell me they want to do a trade, but there are no female mechanics/they wouldn't be any good/they'd get picked on/noone would hire them etc. I don't think I've got much chance of quelling their fears if I can't even do the same myself.
    Its obscene. DH has walked away from several conversations, as have a few other men but they are by far in the minority. I know that' amongst other things that is a big reason I wouldn't do a trade.

ETA: you only needed to watch the block to see how the female tradie and some of the female contestants were referred to, it's so blatant that it's ok to televise.
    Last edited by babyla; 21-04-2014 at 21:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Social pressure my @rse. If you don't have the 'confidence' to do something then that is a flaw that is causing your disadvantage. Women should stop blaming others and take responsibility.
    So you agree with feminism then, because it's women taking action and responsibility! Awesome, it's nice to have you on board

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jakois For This Useful Post:

grumpybump  (21-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I saw a doco on women in the trades a few months ago. There was a young woman doing a mechanic apprenticeship and the owner said she was the best apprentice he had ever had - she was more meticulous, polite to customers, had a keener eye for detail. But even she said it was a bit of a baptism of fire when she started.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    You're on fire tonight! Been into the red?
    That explains it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Social pressure my @rse. If you don't have the 'confidence' to do something then that is a flaw that is causing your disadvantage. Women should stop blaming others and take responsibility.
    Hahahahahahahaha you are hilarious!!

Spoken from a place of pure privilege. You are a lucky woman VP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tastychicken View Post

a 6'10 woman and a 6'10 man are equal and most likely the female is stronger and can kick the mans ****.
    Perfect example of the kind of 'feminism' most feminists hate. Why exactly would the female be most likely to be stronger when both male and female are the same height?

You are as bad as a sexist person when you make these kind of comments.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jesssalee For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (21-04-2014),peanutmonkey  (21-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by jesssalee View Post
    Perfect example of the kind of 'feminism' most feminists hate. Why exactly would the female be most likely to be stronger when both male and female are the same height?

You are as bad as a sexist person when you make these kind of comments.
    so no women are 6'10.... yes they are

if we said 5'8 and women vs man, carrying an 18 kilo toddler around?
    Last edited by Maxwell's Silver Hammer; 21-04-2014 at 21:45.