+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 6 month old not sleeping

Ds is 6.5 months currently teething and lately won't have a nap at 4:30, he will lay in his bed up to 1 hour just wriggling around whinging , he isn't sleeping threw the night yet just one feed a night some nights I'm up 2-3 times just to put his dummy in , but my question is , he isn't sleeping long enough at his day sleeps though , he wakes at 6:30 so I try 9 or 9:20am for a nap but he only ever has one sleep cycle then by 12 he is tired. I've tried naps at 12 and at 1:00 but he only sleeps for 1-1.5 hours , so being awake from 2/2:30-6:30 is just to much for him and he is a mess !! What can I do ??
    Last edited by aquarius24; 22-04-2014 at 06:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think a 1-1.5 hour nap is alright at that age. My DS was still having short naps more often than not at that age and having 2-3 naps a day. If you think he still needs more sleep when he wakes up, try to resettle him and get him back to sleep straight away before he has a chance to wake up properly. I'd probably also try to get rid of the dummy if you're getting up all night to put it back in his mouth. If he learns to go to sleep without it he might sleep longer as he will be able to resettle without your help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou ! He had 3 naps today , and still battling to keep his eyes open ! Poor little man !!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never really managed to get the routine 'right' because he would go back to sleep about 3 hours after waking up, so he would end up getting tired at a different time every night which made having a set routine hard. I just followed his cues, put him down when he was sleepy regardless of time. It worked for us, even though it meant he sometimes went to bed ridiculously early and then wanted to get up at a stupid time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. I'm finding the same with bub, some days he has longer or shorter sleeps and can't handle being up for 3 hours !

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 6 month old DS is the exact same as your bub with day & night sleeps, just giving sympathy as I have yet to find a solution. Was hoping he would magically get better after 6 months. Only positive is he seems to be figuring out how to put dummy in himself, I now leave a few round his hand at night & hope for the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrsbraxton View Post
    My 6 month old DS is the exact same as your bub with day & night sleeps, just giving sympathy as I have yet to find a solution. Was hoping he would magically get better after 6 months. Only positive is he seems to be figuring out how to put dummy in himself, I now leave a few round his hand at night & hope for the best.
    Lol thankyou , it's good to know I'm not alone ! Is your bub waking during the night for a feed ??

Thanks
    Reviews
    At that age DD was having 3 day naps, morning early afternoon and late afternoon waking once or twice a night. DS is a terrible day sleeper and will have a short morning nap usually while we're out n about then he'll have a long nap usually no more than an hour sometime between 11:30 and 1 and might doze off for 15/20 min in the afternoon, but he goes to bed early at 6/630 and wakes 3 to 4 times a night but sleeps 12 hours. So my point is they're all different! But if your bub is tiered and needs more day sleep and the issue is pain try to give him Panadol or whatever pain relief you chose 20 min before nap, give him some numbing gel 5 min before nap and make sure he's full and tiered, do play time after you give him pain medication it should help tiered him out and hopefully he'll have a good nap for you, if that fails (which does with DS) I just wear him in the ergo and give him 30/40 min nap that way somehow he's way sookier than DD if he's not feeling well he'll want to be near me... as in ON me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaomamma View Post
    At that age DD was having 3 day naps, morning early afternoon and late afternoon waking once or twice a night. DS is a terrible day sleeper and will have a short morning nap usually while we're out n about then he'll have a long nap usually no more than an hour sometime between 11:30 and 1 and might doze off for 15/20 min in the afternoon, but he goes to bed early at 6/630 and wakes 3 to 4 times a night but sleeps 12 hours. So my point is they're all different! But if your bub is tiered and needs more day sleep and the issue is pain try to give him Panadol or whatever pain relief you chose 20 min before nap, give him some numbing gel 5 min before nap and make sure he's full and tiered, do play time after you give him pain medication it should help tiered him out and hopefully he'll have a good nap for you, if that fails (which does with DS) I just wear him in the ergo and give him 30/40 min nap that way somehow he's way sookier than DD if he's not feeling well he'll want to be near me... as in ON me!
    thankyou for that ! Was your bub still having a feed during the night?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS was the same so he just used to have all day sleeps on me.. Ahh 2-3 hours if sleeping on the lounge was bliss!!