+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Reflux or paranoid interfering relative?

Hi everyone.

After the family Easter visit my sister informed me that my 8 week old has reflux because he vomits a lot (true, mini vomits, some projectile) and after a burp/spew he screws his face up while making gargling/lip smacking noises (I never really noticed this before, I suppose I thought it was normal). She knows because 'her first borne had reflux.'

He sleeps/settles well at night, day sleeps are much shorter and hit and miss. He doesn't appear to drink as much as my first (will sometimes only have 60mls of EBM at the dreamfeed).

My sister kept on harping on about it... I was about to tell my sister to **** off as the clinic nurse told me spewing was normal and to only be concerned if bubs weight gain had slowed at his next check up.

Anyway this afternoon bub had a horror feed. Screaming throughout (unusual) . had to stop multiple times for burps (not that unusual), spews galore (normal). Bub doesn't usually scream that much the flow was extra fast as I had missed a feed. But now I am paranoid.

Is my sister being a worrywart? Or do I have no idea? Just after some opinions prior to my clinic visit this week.

Ta....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Is bub unhappy? Cos you can get happy chuckers that just vomit all the time cos they are greedy babies and eat more than their tummies can handle.

I had two happy chuckers that catnapped all the time, woke overnight multiple times (I don't believe in sleep training my children as you probably know). I also had heaps of milk and a fast flow that they would often choke on.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

delirium  (20-04-2014),VicPark  (20-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm so buggered tonight that I can't write the kind of reply with validation s that you deserve BUT from my experience as a mother of a reflux baby (still on daily meds at 21 mo the old) I don't think your baby has reflux.

Sounds just like normal wind. And one horror feed is nothing. Probably just your increased flow amd tiredness from a big day. And sleeping well at night is a dead giveaway that its not reflux.

Will write more about it in the morning if you like. Xx

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cakeish For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (20-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Spewing is normal! There is the term 'happy chucker' I think now she has planted the seed of doubt you are probably going to over think it (as we do!)

If bubs isn't in pain, don't worry bout the spews. And you will know if bub is in pain...If bub usually feeds well and sleeps ok and not crying all the time, it probably isn't reflux.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kellbell85 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (20-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    In my experience, if you have a reflux baby - you know. They cry and scream -a LOT. I knew there was something wrong with my boys as they were miserable all the time, only 2 were spewers though. It is definitely possible to have a happy spewer.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (20-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldn't worry about it if he's feeding and sleeping well and there aren't weight issues. I've had plenty of friends with bubs who spew often post feed but grow out of it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RastaMouse For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (20-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.reflux.org.au/how-reflux-presents

Lots of good reading on this site.

Also agree that you WOULD KNOW if your baby was refluxing - sounds too generally happy!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cakeish For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (20-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    In my experience, if you have a reflux baby - you know. They cry and scream -a LOT. I knew there was something wrong with my boys as they were miserable all the time, only 2 were spewers though. It is definitely possible to have a happy spewer.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I agree with Peanutmonkey.
    If bub had reflux you'd know about it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (20-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had a reflux baby and a happy chucker. Basically the difference is are they settled or not. If they are settled then you probably have a happy chucker.

All babies have periods of being unsettled, but if it's all the time then it's reflux.

My sister diagnosed DD1 with reflux at 2 weeks old. I ignored her. After 3 months of crying I went to the paediatrician and it was reflux. She started on Losec but it didn't help. So we just sucked it up and rode it out.

DD2 spews on me every 15 minutes without fail. But she is settled so I'm not worried.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (20-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So long as he is mostly happy and gaining nicely then I wouldn't worry. I think he sounds like a happy chucker.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to onionskin For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (20-04-2014)