+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Night feeds for 7.5 mth old

Just posting to see if others experienced this. 7.5 mth old DD did not get the memo that night sleep is meant to improve after starting solids. Before starting solids she'd routinely give me a 6-7 hr stretch overnight before a feed. Recently I'm barely getting 3.5 hrs before she's up. She is having about 3 small solid meals a day eg 1/3 of a banana, some cheese, some veges +/- a bit of chicken/meat, and I always end the day with 1.5 tbsp of baby porridge with a bit of cows milk to fill her up about an hour before bed.
    Any suggestions, or just persist with it? We are breastfeeding btw. I just don't get how she lasted longer on just breast milk than now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Hi my DD is 8 months old and wakes more now than she did when she was 3 months old. She's been on solids since 5 months and is still breast fed.

She is a great eater but I don't think her waking has anything to do with hunger (although I feed her back to sleep). Often I've noticed she has wind, or sometimes a tummy ache, or she's just rolling and woken herself up. So yeah I know what you're going through.

So you resettle your baby or feed each time? I usually feed as I've a 3 yo in the room next door I don't want woken.

I figure I'll start getting serious as she gets closer to 1.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Piyamj  (20-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS was doing this also at that age then at 9 months dropped night feeds altogether. It was so nice not having to get up. I just patted him if he woke and he resettled most if the time without a feed then just started sleeping through from 7pm-6am. Maybe your bub is doing the same.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cleo77 For This Useful Post:

Piyamj  (20-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Solids can keep some babies up at night because they get indigestion, try feeding solids earlier and more breast milk before bed. Other kids just need more comfort at night, night feeding is not just about food. It will pass, but it might not be as quick as you like. My DD night weaned and started to sleep through at 19 months. It was tough for me at the time, but I'm glad I stuck with it.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lissa23 For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (20-04-2014),Piyamj  (20-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Up the solids (in particular increase the protein/meat at night time). If you need to cut a day milk feed down to do this, go ahead.

Could bub be waking from habit/expecting to be fed? Do you give bub a chance to resettle before offering a feed?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Piyamj  (20-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wonder if the cows milk at bedtime might be upsetting her tummy. Is she usually ok with dairy?

I wouldn't cut out milk feeds at only 7.5 months.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

Piyamj  (20-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks all.
    I am giving her a bit of time to resettle, perhaps 1 in 5 times she'll go back to sleep herself. I try a pacifier first and it works half the time, so I feed for when she refuses the paci.
    My milk supply is not crash hot since starting solids so I demand feed and even just offer when she's not hungry in the day, but she often plays around.
    I would love her to drop night feeds but I'll persist I guess. My sort of thinking is when she rejects the pacifier she might be hungry? But there's probs a bit of habit there too.