+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Building and designing a house - how does it work!

We bought a block and will be building next year. We have a builder in mind (a local builder, not one of those bigger companies). Just wondering how it works. He can design the house for us but is it usual that he sources everything or can we source a kitchen say and he puts it in. Is this cheaper? Any info appreciated as I have no idea how these things work. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    We built about 5 years ago, also with a smaller builder. There were some things we asked to be not included in the price and we organised those ourselves. But probably only worth it if you know someone who will do that job for you at a good price.

Yes, builder charges a mark up on what it costs them, but they do get charged a cheaper trade cost than what you or I would get charged.

Ask them to quote everything first up, then investigate what you can get cheaper. They can then remove that before writing up the contract.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 2giraffes For This Useful Post:

Beatnik  (19-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Ah my favorite thing to talk about.

You have so many options, so floor plans:

1. You can choose one of his standard designs if you like it and it fits in your block.

2. You can choose one of his standard plans and change it a bit to suit your needs or your block size.

3. You can employ a building designer or architect to design your house.

I'd suggest option 3 if your council is very strict on what they allow or if you have very specific ideas in what you want (beyond 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2 living areas and single garage.

As to choosing your kitchen and having it installed by a kitchen manufacturer as opposed to your builder, what is more cost effective is hard to say and also depends on if your builder allows it. If they do allow it, ask him once you have your fixed price contract, how much he would take off the price if he didn't fit the kitchen, then get some quotes from elsewhere and compare the cost. Bear in mind, you will also need to pay a plumber and electrician on too of the physical kitchen, so allow for that too.

I Hope that helps! Feel free to ask anything else if you want. We just had our house demolished and will be signing with a builder this week it will be the third house we build along with a renovation, so I have learnt sooooo much along the way

5. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Beatnik  (20-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great info, thanks so much