+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Nap time routine

I'm interested to see what are everyone's routine before nap time, not bed time.

My 7 month old baby girl is finally easy to put to sleep at night after months of fighting day time naps and night bed time and me trying to establish a routime before sleep. So now we play, have dinner between 5:30-6, bath after that, we say good night to daddy, I put her in the sleeping bag, give her boobie while singing to her and telling a story and put her in the cot with the dummy and she is off to dream land within 10mins and 6:30ish.
    After quite a few weeks of being consistent she associates bath with bed time.

But I don't know what routine to introduce before day time naps. She usually goes to sleep around 8 for 1-1.5 hours, around 12 for 45mins-1 hour and around 3 or 4 for 30-40mins.

I tried introducing a comforter which she only has when its sleep time and only in the cot but she ends up playing with it and waking up and it takes me anywhere from 45mins to 2 hours to fall asleep at nap time. She also only gets dummy for sleeping.

What routines does everyone have for day time naps?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm having some dramas myself lately with day time naps (DD has started refusing 2nd one) but generally we have a ritual of saying goodbye to the toys we were playing with. I then take DD up to her room and we say 'night night' to several of the pics in the hallway I change her nappy, close the curtains, put her sleeping bag on, dummy in and comforter in her arms, give her a kiss and say 'have a good sleep, see you when you wake up'. On a good day that's the end of it

The comforter took a while for her to take to (she played with hers too in the beginning) but now I see her look for it at night on the video monitor. Originally I introduced it as I hoped we might be able to withdraw the dummy (which we also only use at bedtime) but that hasn't been the case as yet!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Starf1sh For This Useful Post:

LajlaD  (21-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have 9 1/2 month olds. No dummies. This has been our routine from about 5 months. For daytime naps or nighttime sleep I read a story while the girls hold their comforters (it's the only time comforters are given outside of the cot) then change nappies if needed, into sleeping bag and into bed. Our girls have the wave sounds playing on their monitor in their room. We have never bathed before bed as we found it's much easier to do it at other times in the day with twins so that hasn't been an issue for us.

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NAT2561 For This Useful Post:

LajlaD  (21-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I struggled with this too but at 8-10 months she was going through a fussy stage and I started giving her boob before her naps. It worked a treat, so her routine for day is sleeping bag and boob, then she goes in cot with her blankies, that's all.
    DH and mum rock her instead of boob so it's not an issue.

Bath time just winds her up so I do that during the day as part of playtime.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

LajlaD  (21-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanx everyone. I do everything for nap time as for bed time minus the bath. Hopefully she catches on soon its time to nap and it doesnt take me up to two hrs to put her to sleep with tears.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    What time does she wake up? 8:00am seems early for a first nap at 7 months.

your nap routine sounds fine, we too do the same for naps minus the bath, but perhaps the two hour tears is because she's maybe not tired enough??

just a suggestion that maybe she's ready for two sleeps??

good luck OP!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (24-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post
    What time does she wake up? 8:00am seems early for a first nap at 7 months.

your nap routine sounds fine, we too do the same for naps minus the bath, but perhaps the two hour tears is because she's maybe not tired enough??

just a suggestion that maybe she's ready for two sleeps??

good luck OP!

She wakes up at 6, sometimes earlier. Every time I go to put her down for a nap I always wait for signs, she rubbs her eyes, yawns, either stares blankly for a while or gets hyperactive and buries her head in me when she is tired. And its always about 2, 2.5 sometimes 3hrs after she wakes up.

I tried keeping her up for longer but the longer I wait the longer it usually takes to put her to sleep and its harder.

I thought she is dropping her third nap as well but even if she doesnt have that third quick nap and i move her bed time earlier, same story. She is sooo hard to put to sleep then and it takes ages

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app