+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default working parents - how do you do school pick ups?

My DS's are only young still but I'm looking into my options for when I return to work or study and this question suddenly hit me...

To the working parents out there, how do you do school pick ups and school holidays when you both work full time? Who watches or picks up your kids?

We don't live near family so I'm wondering how it would work (or IF it could work!) when my boys are in kindy and preschool if both DH and I were working.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi there, my son starts school next year so I am wondering the same thing.
    At this stage I think we will do a combination of grandparent help and before and after school care. My work can be somewhat flexible so I'll try to negotiate with my boss with some different hours in the first few months of school. I'm hoping maybe to share some drop offs etc with a girlfriend whose son is starting at the same school. Not sure what we'll do in school hols either. I'm guessing partly using my annual leave, vacation care/ soccer camps etc, grandparents and play dates at friends?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is in year 2 and she goes to after school care and DD2 is in preschool. In school hols DD just goes to vacation care

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is very hard though and a really long day. The bus drop off is at 8am and by the time I pick DD2 up from preschool and get to after school care, its nearly 6pm. Then straight home to cook dinner/do homework amd then its pretty much bed time. By the end of the year they are very much over it and looking forward to the long holidays

Thanks
    Reviews
    We use OOSH (out of school hours) before and after school care. It is good to check these things out before your little ones start school as some schools don't have OOSH, and some have it on-site and others have it off-site eg: a combo of schools attend one OOSH facility. Ours in on-site (so only kids from the 1 school) and open from 7am to 6pm. Ours are dropped off at 7am (along with many other kids) and we try and pick them up by 5.30. Also, check out other activites that are offered, such as dance lessons and language classes and sport coaching that can be included to make the most of the time. In school hols, we do a mixture of rec leave, grandparents and Holiday Care (which runs from 7 am to 6pm).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (19-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I work 3 days and use before and after school care on those days. It costs $25 for this, so $12.50 after rebate.

I'm a teacher so don't have to worry about school holidays, but I have booked my daughter into vacation care the first day back on staff development day when there are no students. It is $45 for the day plus I'm sure there will be a rebate somewhere there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I plan on dropping DS to school in the mornings - then he'll go to after school care until I can pick him up just after 5pm. Luckily I work right around the corner from where his school will be and from home.
    Holidays it will be a combination of vacation care and my annual leave I guess!! Wondering whether you can qualify for centrelink benefits/rebates for vacation care?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Before and after school care. Takes the pressure off and DS loves it. :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I work 3 days a week 8-2.30. We use before school care on those 3 mornings and I get back in time for pick up.

School holidays I work from home and DS does his own thing or has friends over (he is in Year 4). I am there if there is an emergency but i they take care of themselves, I will stick my head out on my rostered lunch break and make sure they still alive.

DD still in daycare so that no issue as they open 6-6 all year round.

It is important to have the right school and the right job to make it work if you have no support (like us).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work 3 days a week and like others we use after school care and vacation care for my work days. You still get CCB and CCR.

Ours is on-site and you can also co-ordinate to include extra curricular activities run on school grounds like drama lessons, tennis and swimming lessons and auskick and netball etc.

Our daughter loves it and has quite a few friends there which helps.