+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not sure exactly. I know that by 3 they were both well and truly toilet trained.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Dd1 we started being consistent from 14mths. TTd by 18-19mths (rare accidents). Night TT by 2yo.

Dd2 we started popping her on the toilet periodically from 6mths. She took to pooing on the toilet from the get go. Then we started using knickers around 16-17mths full time. TTd by 19mths with a rare accident. Night TT is not going well. She won't be night TT by 2yo.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We p/t ECed our boy from 6 weeks but only moved to full-time toilet training (i.e. replaced the huggies, day and night, with cotton training pants) about a couple months ago. He's 1.5 years old, not talking or walking independently yet.

We follow a routine. I tell him when to go, which is about every 1.5hrs, sometimes it's 2 hours. He pees and poops on the potty - the toilet is too high up and too scary. Accidents are now less and less, and he's waking up more often than not with dry pants.

He's nowhere near "toilet trained" though. I'll consider him toilet trained when he goes to the toilet (not potty) by himself without me prompting him. And that, I think, is a long way off. But this works for us now.

Re your dad's comments... everyone's different (as you can see by all the replies in this thread). Some get it early, slowly, with set-backs, and others get it very quickly when they're older. Same with any other kind of learning - driving, maths, swimming... whatever. Is there something you got the hang of quickly that took him forever to learn? A game/language or something? Point that out to him and remind him that everyone is different. We aren't all little robots following the same schedule.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Thanks ladies! There really is a lot of variation. I told my dad she wasn't ready, nor was I (I'm 4.5 months pregnant), he says of course you're not ready.... Grrr - calling me a lazy much!!

DD is very strong willed and if she doesn't want to do something, she will quickly let you know about it, I'm not about to create a battle where I don't need to. DD is perfectly happy in nappies and I don't mind changing them, and you've all helped me realize, he needs to keep his opinions to himself.

I had thought that I should just tell him to call DOCS on me as clearly she is being neglected and I'm doing such a bad job as a parent, given I do things differently to how he did them 30 years ago! I wish he would just put it in perspective!!!

Thanks again ladies!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    My son wasn't toilet trained until 4.5years old. And still now at nearly 7 can only just feel the sensation of needing to go about 1 minute before wetting or soiling himself. Lots of dashing to nearest toilet or weeing on trees so he doesn't wet himself. (he has autism)

My daughter toilet trained herself at 17 months old. She saw the older kids at childcare and just did it. No accidents after that except if she has problems with her buttons.

All kids are different.

Thanks
    Reviews
    2 years 2 months day trained and 2 years 6 months night

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS- I tried at 2, 2.5 & finally 2 years 10 months...he got it in 2 weeks but was 4 when he was night trained.

Dd1 - 2 years 3 months, trained within a week & no accidents since.

DD2 - 22 months when started, day trained at 2 years 1 month & night trained at 2.5.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd just after 2nd bday and she did it all we can't take any praise for "training" as such. She just kept asking to go to the toilet.

I remember she asked once while we were out and DH said well go your wearing a nappy and she screamed out "NO" in disgust haha that was it no more nappies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LoCo View Post
    Dd just after 2nd bday and she did it all we can't take any praise for "training" as such. She just kept asking to go to the toilet.

I remember she asked once while we were out and DH said well go your wearing a nappy and she screamed out "NO" in disgust haha that was it no more nappies.
    That's so awesome I really hope ds does this!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started training my DD1 after her 2nd birthday using the '3
    day potty method'- suffice to say, she had lots and lots of accidents till about 2.5 years old. It was a painful time and cleaning up accidents was not fun.

With DD2 i decided to follow her cues. I put her in undies from 2, but had a heap of accidents that day so back to nappies she went. A few months later she decided she didn't want to wear nappies anymore and she we had a 100% success rate. She trained herself in effect but was used to seeing her big sister using the toilet.

What I learnt? You can always try to toilet train yyour child from a young age, however if they are not ready it can be one of those most stressful times in parenthood. I know now for any subsequent kids, I am going to wait until they are showing signs of being ready. And by ready I mean, actually doing wees and poos on the toilet.

I was lucky that both my mum and mother in law did not offer advice to toilet train early but I know of lots of people who do get pressure from older generations. Maybe they did toilet train us at 18 months, but most of us would have worn cloth nappies and it probably was uncomfortable when we soiled ourselves and the mums were over cleaning nappies so pushed it sooner.

That, or they had short memories

Don't stress OP - she will get it in her own time - try to block out your dad when he offers advice on toileting. My Dad and father in law also would make comments but I know for a fact that they wouldn't have helped with TT their kids so I take it with a grain of salt