+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS was about 3 years 4 months....was all done with very rare accidents by 4

DD at 20 months....all directed by her and it freaked me out lol She just got it and rarely had an accident after the first month. She is now 3 1/2 and only has an accident if overtired.....maybe once every 3 weeks or so.

Each kid is different....but imo the kids should lead the way and it should not be stressful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD1 we tried to train at 23 months using the 3 day potty training method. Complete and utter disaster- it was traumatizing for all of us! At 27 months she told us she wanted to wear big girl undies and so we tried again. She had lots of accident until she was 3.5, but managed to do all her poos in the toilet, so that was a bonus! She has a shocking bladder and has only been dry at night this year- she's 6 next month. She will wet the bed occasionally if she is really tired.
    DD2 was trained just before 3- she just "got it" so quickly and we've rarely had any accidents from her. Last year she was dry at night for 6 months straight, but has been wetting frequently this year, so we've put her back into nappy pants at night. She actually got up to go to the toilet last night and was dry this morning, so hopefully she'll be dry again at night soon. She turned 4 in December.
    DS will be 2.5 next month. He is showing interest in using the toilet, sits on it a bit, but has never done anything. I'm thinking I'll put him in undies for a few days soon to see if anything clicks, but if not, I'll wait until he's closer to 3 (and the weather's warmer!) to try again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We waited until DS was ready and he was 3y 4m. He went back from nappies to underwear and has only had one accident. He still needs a nappy for bed and to poop but we are working on that!
    We will wait until DD is ready too, we wont be forcing the issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not sure exactly. I know that by 3 they were both well and truly toilet trained.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Around 3, dd was trained by 3.5 yrs ds by 4 yrs (but not at night yet)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    We started tt ds1 just after he turned 2. Because it was the Christmas holidays, the weather was warm and I would have a couple of weeks off work. I thought DS was also showing some signs (speech etc) but I think I was looking at things through rose colored glasses.

After a few weeks and lots of accidents I snapped and told hubby we were putting things on hold, and trying again later. The thing is the next day when we went to put a nappy on DS he chucked a wobbly, wouldn't let us and sat on the potty and did a wee. So he wouldn't let us quit. Fast forward ahead 4 months and at 2.5 years DS is about 70% toilet trained. Still needs a bit of help with poos and when he is distracted playing. Daycare has helped as all the other kids are training too.

In hindsight I would have waited longer, started preparation work earlier (reading potty book, pulling pants up and down etc). And just resigned myself to the fact that there are going to be accidents to clean up.

All the wonder stories I have heard (training within a week) have been for older (3 years+) kids.

My mum started nagging me when I was going to tt DS, put him in a bed etc. one day I just snapped (I was pregnant) and she hasn't said anything (other than be supportive) since.
    Last edited by VicPark; 18-04-2014 at 16:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cindye View Post
    DD1 we tried to train at 23 months using the 3 day potty training method. Complete and utter disaster- it was traumatizing for all of us! .
    ha ha! I read this too and naively thought it would work! What a crock! Might work for older kids but not younger ones.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 30 month old is not trained. She's not ready really. We encourage sitting on the toilet but don't force it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_eyes View Post
    My story is a bit different because my child has autism. But i plan on following the same thing for my neuro typical daughter. And that was simply wait until they make the decision to do it.

My son was 3.5yrs old and was terrified of going to the toilet. Then one day (2 weeks before i was due to give birth :/) he decided he wanted to use the toilet. And it just fell into place. He had 4 wee accidents in total and one poop accident. And thats it. By the time dd was a week old he was toilet trained. (3 weeks in total)

The more you force the issue the more stress you create for them. Sorry granddad, you've gotta be patient! She wont be in nappies forever.
    Oh gosh couldn't agree more!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    ha ha! I read this too and naively thought it would work! What a crock! Might work for older kids but not younger ones.
    My sister used it for her twin girls before they were 2- it worked for one, but not the other. I gave it a try because she had a 50% success rate. Wish I steered clear of it- I honestly think it set my DD right back!