+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default When did your child start toilet training?

My dad keeps pressuring us to toilet train 25mo DD.

I know she isn't ready and there's still plenty of time to do it.

What age was your child and what signs did they show they were ready?

Does anyone feel like they tried too early? What happened?

I want to show the responses to him to get him to back off!

TIA!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Subbing...Ds1 is 2.5 years old and doesn't talk or show signs that he is ready, yet the inlaws comment about his nappies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD is nearly 29 months and still isn't completely ready to toilet train.

She showed some signs of readiness at around 23 months so we tried then and had one half day where she did 8 little wees in the potty and had 4 accidents, so thought she was ready but when she woke the next day she decided she didn't like the potty or the big girl toilet and took a few steps back so I popped her back in nappies until 26 months and we tried again. She's still not pulling her pants down but she's happy to go occasionally on the big toilet now at nearly 29 months old.

We will be trying the 3 day toilet training method in a few weeks maybe.

I'm so over nappies and the pressure from family to have her toilet trained, but you just can't rush bubbas! They will do things if and when they are ready!

Plus read a book that said bubbas who train early will most probably have toilet ing issues (bed wedding etc) when older! The ideal age to start to attempt TT is around 22-24 months apparently. Well we are way past that but I'm not stressing. My DD will get it when she's ready!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As with everything with parenting, things change over time. Those from older generations often toilet trained earlier but I have heard it often took a lot longer where as those that toilet train when the child is ready managed it in a shorter amount of time.

These days we tend to follow the lead of the child rather than "train" them. We wait until they show an interest in toileting and want to learn which really makes perfect sense as its much easier when the child is on board and wants to do it.

what I would do is buy a couple of potty's and leave them around the place as well as one of those training seats that sit on the big toilet. Let them sit on it if they want, whenever they want. Lots of no nappy time through the day... those terry toweling pants are good at containing messes but letting them still feel it. when they finally show an interest then just go for it, let them make mistakes, don't make a big deal out of it... lots of encouragement and cheers when they are successful.

fyi... my ds wasn't fully toilet trained until 3.5 yrs. but he literally went from nappies to undies overnight, no night time nappies or anything and he has only wet the bed once. My dd has been in undies through the day since 2 yrs but at 3.5 yrs she still needs a pull up at night and has told me she is not ready to part with them yet. mostly she wakes up dry and she probably could go into undies at night but she doesn't want to yet so I just leave her. She gets her own pull up before bed and puts it on and takes it off in the morning when she gets up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds is 2 now and I had tried when he was 11m..1yr..1.5yrs etc and he just isnt ready so I have now stopped until he shows signs. I do still ask him every day to tell me when he needs to poo so we can use the big toilet.. but never tells me. Im just teaching him to pull up amd down his pants now and waiting until he asks to go on toilet.. not rushing it anymore. .as much as I would love to say bye bye to nappies!

Thanks
    Reviews
    What is it with that generation? I've had massive issues TT my DS (he is 3 1/2 and still wets his pants often!), and the guilt I've been made to feel by certain of the grandparents is so unfair!

Tell your dad he is welcome to move in and train her himself!

Really though, I think it varies greatly depending on the child. They are all different! Some kids do it rather easily within days or weeks and others don't. My DS knows full well how to use the toilet but often leaves it too late. So frustrating after doing this for over a year... And always asking him to go, him saying no I don't need to, then weeing on the floor/in his pants.

Anyway, a bit ranty sorry, but my point is there's no specific time, it's really up to you when you think she is ready?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

MummaOJ  (18-04-2014),smallpotatoes  (18-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son is 23m he asks to sit on the toilet, the says "psssst.....that's better!" then we flush toilet and wash hands. I think il start formally training in a few months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Each child is so different! You know your DD best so just go with your intuition.

In our case DS was about 2.5 and once we decided to take nappies away we did so for good- no going back. He wore nappies for naps and overnight til just after 3, then we took away overnight nappies at 3.5 (Santa took them ).

We always made a big deal of 'big boy jockies' and praised when doing wees or poos on the toilet. Poos took a lot longer to master. We never used a potty. We never yelled if he had an accident, we just reminded him what to do next time.

He turns 4 in May and will have an accident overnight very occasionally (once every couple of months?) but we have sheet protectors and we just don't make a big deal of it. All in all I'm really proud of how well he toilet trained. It was never a frustrating process. But as I said, all children are very different, it's silly to say they need to be trained by a specific age. After all, not all kids start talking/walking at exactly the same age!

Oh and we didn't really look for particular 'signs of readiness'. We just kind of went with it, and it didn't take long for him to understand. The initial day time toilet training (cold turkey) took less than 2 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS was nearly 3 and DD was 2 and a half. I waited until they were keen and interested. Was a fairly painless process for both of them.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My story is a bit different because my child has autism. But i plan on following the same thing for my neuro typical daughter. And that was simply wait until they make the decision to do it.

My son was 3.5yrs old and was terrified of going to the toilet. Then one day (2 weeks before i was due to give birth :/) he decided he wanted to use the toilet. And it just fell into place. He had 4 wee accidents in total and one poop accident. And thats it. By the time dd was a week old he was toilet trained. (3 weeks in total)

The more you force the issue the more stress you create for them. Sorry granddad, you've gotta be patient! She wont be in nappies forever.