+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by caribbean View Post
    I've always wondered about "why" you have to stop giving milk?

For over 30 years I've had a glass of milk in the morning and before bed each night - it's always been my routine and something my mum used to give us all 4 kids. I've never grown out of it and figured the calcium was good for you. My DH was exactly the same growing up.

I was going to continue this with my DS well into the years!
    I think they recommend stopping because kids can fill up on milk and not eat as many other foods, so can miss out on other nutrients. If your kids eat a wide range of other foods I don't see an issue. My DS is 4 and I still give him a glass of milk with dinner- sending him to bed with a full tummy is the whole idea

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Zombie_eyes  (25-04-2014)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yep, milk is filling and its easier to drink than to stop what your doing and sit for food.

Why eat when you can drink and feel the same afterwards?

Paed told me a small cup of milk before bed for dd (16months) and that it!

She was having 3 bottles a day still >_<

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by caribbean View Post
    I've always wondered about "why" you have to stop giving milk?

For over 30 years I've had a glass of milk in the morning and before bed each night - it's always been my routine and something my mum used to give us all 4 kids. I've never grown out of it and figured the calcium was good for you. My DH was exactly the same growing up.

I was going to continue this with my DS well into the years!
    I'm not concerned about the milk, it's more that it's out of a bottle. Now that she's drinking it out of a cup, she has a bit more than what she was drinking out of a bottle as I was trying to make bottles not be so desirable. I'm fine with her having a cup or two of milk each day as long as it doesn't affect how much food she eats.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 3yo DS drinks about 1 liter full cream a day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    My 8, 5 and 3 year olds have milk on their cereal and that's it. All my kids hate drinking milk (except for breast milk).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    All three of mine love milk as a drink, I think it's yuck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    My 3yo DS drinks about 1 liter full cream a day.
    Keep an eye on his iron levels - milk can hinder iron absorption and iron deficiencies are quite common in toddlers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Keep an eye on his iron levels - milk can hinder iron absorption and iron deficiencies are quite common in toddlers
    This is why I actually limit DDs milk intake. She has a small amount (about half to two-thirds of one of those take-n-toss size cups) before bed, other than that it's just on cereal in the morning. She has yoghurt and/or cheese most days so I'm not worried about her calcium levels.

OP - I think you're doing the right thing, my understanding is that ditching the bottle is more about dental problems and oral development than it is about the contents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Thanks I've never heard that before. Will do some more reading on this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://m.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhc..._children?open

It's a tricky balance as too much dairy will hinder iron absorption and too much iron will hinder calcium absorption!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

lilypily  (26-04-2014)