+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Do toddlers NEED milk?

My mum keeps telling me I'm slack for trying to stop my 14mo's last bottle. We're down to 50ml of cows milk at bedtime and are looking to stop soon. I was trying to find a reputable website giving the reasons why a toddler ideally shouldn't have a bottle past 12 months and came across the Children's Hospital at Westmead's website, which says "A toddler needs only 200-500mls milk per day (depending on what other dairy products they are eating) and some water over the day." (http://kidshealth.schn.health.nsw.go...dler-mealtimes).

She won't drink milk out of a cup, I've tried all different sippy cups, straw cups and a normal cup, warm and cold, and she's just not interested. She eats yogurt and cheese each day and has a small amount of milk if she has weetbix or oats for breakfast and usually has green veggies with at least one meal per day but sometimes two meals. Overall she has a very healthy, varied low sugar, low salt, diet, so how important is cows milk? Should I be concerned that once she drops this last bottle, she won't be drinking anywhere near the amount of milk recommended above?

TIA!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmrc...ne_summary.pdf

Milk is recommended to be offered only as a. "Drink" over 12 months - I don't beleive it's needed at all , plenty of ways to get calcium in their diets , DS has never had cows milk as a drink (rarely in cereal and sometimes in smoothies )

At 2 the recommendation is 1 and a half serves or dairy or alternate at day - 1 serve is a tub of yogurt and 2 slices of cheese

http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmrc...idelines_1.pdf
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 17-04-2014 at 23:24.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (25-04-2014),BH-KatiesMum  (17-04-2014),haveheart  (18-04-2014),JR03  (17-04-2014),Piyamj  (17-04-2014),Taiyed  (25-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for this post, good advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmrc...ne_summary.pdf

Milk is recommended to be offered only as a. "Drink" over 12 months - I don't beleive it's needed at all , plenty of ways to get calcium in their diets , DS has never had cows milk as a drink (rarely in cereal and sometimes in smoothies )

At 2 the recommendation is 1 and a half serves or dairy or alternate at day - 1 serve is a tub of yogurt and 2 slices of cheese

http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmrc...idelines_1.pdf
    Thank you!!!!! Once again, awesome nutrition advice from you :-)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (17-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Might she be refusing milk out of a cup because she is used to having it in a bottle? When you stop the bottle she might then go for it in a cup.

Otherwise, as above, smoothies! Yoghurt and milk and banana is a basic one that goes down well and has all your dairy in it in one hit.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to debsch For This Useful Post:

Taiyed  (25-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just an update, for the last 3 nights she has had a cup of warm milk before bed and because there's no bottle on offer, she drinks it willingly :-) thanks for the advice!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

CatesBean  (25-04-2014),peanutmonkey  (25-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My toddler doesn't have milk. Occasionally I will make him a fruit smoothie with milk but that's it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Taiyed  (25-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks OP and other posters. I've also been wondering about this as I've recently cut 20 mo DS down to 2 breastfeeds a day. He eats yoghurt and cheese everyday but I was worried he needed milk too. Nice to know that he's getting more than enough without having to add milk

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've always wondered about "why" you have to stop giving milk?

For over 30 years I've had a glass of milk in the morning and before bed each night - it's always been my routine and something my mum used to give us all 4 kids. I've never grown out of it and figured the calcium was good for you. My DH was exactly the same growing up.

I was going to continue this with my DS well into the years!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by caribbean View Post
    I've always wondered about "why" you have to stop giving milk?

For over 30 years I've had a glass of milk in the morning and before bed each night - it's always been my routine and something my mum used to give us all 4 kids. I've never grown out of it and figured the calcium was good for you. My DH was exactly the same growing up.

I was going to continue this with my DS well into the years!
    If you like it, why not. There are benefits to drinking milk, most notably the calcium consumption but like others I don't think it's necessary.

I've never been much of a milk drinker myself and neither of my children seem to like drinking it either. We are lucky to go through 1-2 litres a week as a family. We mainly use it in cooking, for cereal and in tea.

I've always offered cow's milk to my children but neither of them seem to like it as a drink. They both have yoghurt and cheese in their diet so I was never too bothered about it especially as I've never much liked drinking it myself. They both were also breastfeeding well into toddlerhood (DD weaned at 3 years and DS is still going at 28 months) which was another reason why I wasn't worried about the nutrition aspect.