+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Meal budget???

I've been trying to work out a fortnightly menu that fits in our budget of $150-$200. It's just not working. I am not a great cook and I don't have a big selection of foods that I am good at but the ones I can make aren't expensive meals but when I am trying to work it out for a fortnight it's just doing my head in. It's over our budget for 5 (2 adults and 3 toddlers). I don't know where I am going wrong because I try to buy the cheapest of everything we get, I just don't know how to make this work. Seriously I wish I learnt this stuff at school. I would have gotten more out of it. Sometimes being a responsible adult sucks. What is your budget and menu?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have $250 a fortnight.. I go to the green grocers to get veggies, have less meat at dinner time and have at least one meatless meal. Mince, sausages, chicken are usually cheaper. We also bought half a lamb which worked out ~$7 a meal. Meal planning is essential and try to use up pantry items before buying more

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We spend more than that on food, but some budget meals that we eat are- spag Bol/ shepherd pie/ porcupine meatballs made with mince, apricot chicken/ slow cooker teriyaki chicken made with chicken thighs, honey soy chicken drumsticks, fried rice, zucchini slice, quiche, macaroni cheese with tinned corn and frozen peas added, bacon and egg muffins/ baked beans for slack nights, hokkien noodles with beef and broccoli (I use steak sandwich steak for this), risotto, lamb rogan josh.
    I try and cook large batches of meals and freeze them so I just have to add veggies or salad. I also bake and freeze muffins/ slices/ banana bread etc to save money on snack foods.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sub Rosa For This Useful Post:

bigZ  (17-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good ideas cindye

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you buy meat in bulk? Shop at farmers market or green grocer for fruit and veg?

Something good to do is write down all your common/favourite meals and then literally work out the cost per meal/per serve as accurately as you can. That way you know if you pick an expensive meal you need to counter it with a cheap meal.

Soups, stirfry (using in season veg), mince meals and pasta dishes are normally cheap. Roast meals can often be stretched (or buy a slightly bigger one) to include roast rolls or wraps the next night. Have cheap/basic lunches and snacks (sandwiches with vegetable sticks, popcorn, in season fruit, homemade biscuits).

Also try and match like with like in the menu plan so you aren't wasting food. E.g bananas for snack and banana bread for treat, cream for pasta also use in potato bake, mince for spaghetti bol and rest in tacos.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Isabellabean; 17-04-2014 at 14:51.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Isabellabean For This Useful Post:

bigZ  (17-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great ideas. I do use left over taco meat for the next night spaghetti and ad some beans for a different kind of spaghetti.