+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Can I exercise earlier than 6 weeks post partum?

Even though I've put on more weight with this pregnancy and had to have months of rest earlier on, I've still kept up gym workouts since then at an average of 4 days a week, so there is still some level of fitness there.

I know that they usually say 6 weeks post partum before getting back into exercise and I'm sure I'll take at least a couple of weeks off for bleeding to settle down and swelling to go down. I don't want to go back early if there is a chance that I will do damage and just wanted to gather some information.

What are the reasons they say to wait 6 weeks post partum? If I am feeling well and have a good birth with no complications, stitches, etc. am I able to go back to a light workout similar to what I do when pregnant earlier than the six weeks?

I just know that I end up feeling horrible by the end of the six weeks and any fitness I had previously is gone by then and my metabolism doesn't allow a walk to be sufficient in maintaining my weight.

And no...I can't breast feed it off and it doesn't just pop back due to medical reasons beyond my control. From experience I know I have to cut calories and do 2 hours of intense workouts a day for 3 months to lose about 15 kg.

Please don't reply "oh just watch what you eat and go for a few walks and it will slowly come off" because it doesn't - some bodies just weren't made like that!

I already have a separation too - so can't do long lever work anyway.
    I do want to look after my pelvic floor though, so if it is the six weeks that I have to wait in order to look after all of that it will be highly worth it! I wouldn't be jumping around if I did go back earlier. Just after some people with knowledge in this area.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My physio advised me not to do things like walking til after about 12 weeks, to ensure I didn't put strain on my pelvic floor. It needs time to repair/rest. So I was pretty sedentary for the first 3-4 months and kept the weight on but I have no bladder control problems at all.

My friends who started walking or running soon after bub all can't exercise without wearing pads or they'll wet themselves. Just something to consider!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (17-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was thinking that might be the defining point - pooh! Might just have to cut calories and be content with that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes agree with @lemonpancakes the physio at my hospital told us only very gentle walking before 3 months and to get horizontal at least twice a day to give separated stomach muscles and pelvic floor a break! She said only exercises to do before then are your pelvic floor ones, unless you want to deal with bladder and bowel leakage like women from generations before us who think that's a standard consequence of birthing.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to giggle berry For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (17-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, in the past I've not exercised prior to being given the green light by my gp as I didn't want to damage anything - looks like I will be taking it easy again. I remember when I went to a physio after mc our 4th child and she was a bit surprised that my pelvic floor was still a 4/5 after so many births and an unplanned pregnancy. Unfortunately it was also the unplanned pregnancy that also screwed up my stomach muscles and has left me with the separation.

Does anyone know if I can "trick" or train my stomach muscles into possibly coming back together this time post-birth? Otherwise I think I will go and have them surgically repaired as I want to use them too much?