+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Persistent cough for 6+ weeks

Ok, my dd is 1 in three weeks. Over the past 6+ weeks she's had a cough, goes from dry to chesty. We have been to and from the doctor, they can never hear anything on her chest.

On Sunday, she got worse and was diagnosed with croup. We put her on the steroid medication which I assume has helped, her voice isn't as husky but the cough is still there. She's coughs the most when she's having her milk.

She went back to the doctor today (not normal GP) and they want to put her on Ventolin for two weeks, I've decided I'm not happy with this as she has a heart condition and I know it can make your heart race. If in two weeks things haven't improved then they will do a chest X-ray. I'm uncomfortable about the ventolin and will talk to a paed about this.

The GP today also mentioned that she may have been exposed to the whopping cough virus (she's had all her needles) again, I don't agree with this as I have never heard the hoop sound during or after coughing.

She has made herself vomit a few times when coughing but never have I heard wheezing or does it look like she's struggling to breathe.

My parents are worried it's the two cats we have in our house. I'm not sure about that as they have been here since she was born.

She's also teething, weather that has something to do with the runny nose and salvia all sitting in her throat?!

Any suggestions? I'm starting to panic...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    She can still get whooping cough if vaxxed, otherwise it could be allergy/asthma type things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Have her tested for whooping cough to rule it out. It's a simple swab test. You can have it without the whoop.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (16-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If they can't hear anything on her chest, that would calm me significantly. It could be an allergy, you mentioned she coughed when having milk - have you tried keeping her off it? What about dust, pollen, cool air?
    Each time my kids have had a cold, their cough lasts weeks. If she is breathing normally and isn't in distress I would wait a few more weeks. Personally with a heart condition I would only give ventolin under the guidance of a paed. I hope you get answers soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's to late to do the swab test for whopping cough as it's only used in the first two weeks. They can do s blood test but don't want to just yet as it will distress her to much.

I really don't know anymore, I'm worried....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't kept her off her milk yet. The cough has only bothered her while having her milk since Sunday, the weeks prior it was never affected by her milk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by May baby View Post
    It's to late to do the swab test for whopping cough as it's only used in the first two weeks. They can do s blood test but don't want to just yet as it will distress her to much.

If you are worried, get the blood test. It is quick and doesn't distress them that much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    If you are worried, get the blood test. It is quick and doesn't distress them that much.
    I would be happy to but it was the GP who didn't think it was necessary yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by May baby View Post

I would get the BT. It would distress me much more if I didn't and my child was potentially spreading whooping cough within the community.

ETA- I would just want to rule it out iykwim before moving on to the next possibility.
    Last edited by Atropos; 16-04-2014 at 19:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I would get the BT. It would distress me much more if I didn't and my child was potentially spreading whooping cough within the community.
    I agree. She goes to daycare and there's been no other cases or suspected cases.

I think I'll go back to GP and get the blood test. The GP didn't even hear her cough so I think she's just thinking of things as they don't really know.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to May baby For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (16-04-2014)