+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lili81 View Post
    No not normal. I got a pay raise while on maternity leave. It's no different then sick/annual/long service leave.
    FYI - according to the NES, it is different. Sick, annual and LSL are all forms of paid leave and your service continues to accrue while you're on them. Your continuity of service is not broken on unpaid parental leave but does not continue to accrue during that period.

It may be different if your workplace has paid parental leave or an EBA specifying otherwise, but generally speaking, the above applies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for the replies.

No automatic raises in my work place, each individual is assessed on their merits. I think I will have an up hill battle to get raise given I was there for such a short period. First time I am feeling the pinch of taking time off for my bub, when I go back I will be doing the same work as the blokes at my level but for less pay. Just as well my little man is worth it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The last 2 companies I have worked for both gave increases to mat leavers when they came back, but not during the actual leave period. The reward policies were quite clear about this though, so a manager couldn't just make the decision in an arbitrary way.

I do like merit based pay, but this application of the principles feels just a bit off to me.

I would ask your manager if he has any room to move on his stance. If the rationale is that you haven't been performing for the year, I would argue that you also have not been UNDER performing. So it seems fair to give a pay rise of an average employee, (or even better, base it on your past performance if you've been in the role long enough). Put it to your manager that you are being rewarded the same way as your organisation's worst performers, which could be seen to be a bit unfair.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cdro For This Useful Post:

Mrsbraxton  (18-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Personally I would mention the dreaded d-word (discrimination) as essentially reducing a merit increase just because you are on parental leave is just that. It makes no sense anyway as it only costs the firm more when you are back at work, not on leave (apart from any paid leave of course). It's totally different to bonuses which should be pro rated.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Mrsbraxton  (18-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks CDRO, I really like your logic. That's how it works in my job, if you underperform, then no rise. It particularly stings as I would be a high performer so when I do go back I will bring in as much, if not more, business than my colleagues who will get pay rises. Boss told me if I had not taken time off I would be getting X rise ( I think he was basing the amount on what he knows people at my level who are doing well are getting from July). No paid leave with my job so I would only be hoping for rise from when I go back.

KW123- thanks for your thoughts. No bonus either ( not even pro rata) as that is purely figures/ performance based. Looks like I should have thought about these things before I had bubs and got work somewhere a bit more mother friendly. No wonder their are no senior managers in job who are women!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    FYI - according to the NES, it is different. Sick, annual and LSL are all forms of paid leave and your service continues to accrue while you're on them. Your continuity of service is not broken on unpaid parental leave but does not continue to accrue during that period.

It may be different if your workplace has paid parental leave or an EBA specifying otherwise, but generally speaking, the above applies.
    oh yes sorry I assumed we were talking paid parental leave, my bad