+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Maternity Leave question

Hello

Is it normal NOT to get a pay rise at the annual pay reviews when you are on mat leave? I will be returning to work around September after 9 ish months off work having my first bub. I understand that I haven't been in the office for most of the year. Just curious if this is the norm. Many thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I know from a thread a few years ago that this is uncommon, however my company pro-rates payrises for people who haven't been there for the whole year, either because they're a new hire or have been on unpaid leave, including parental leave. So if you only worked for 3 months of the last financial year, you would get 25% of the standard increase.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Mrsbraxton  (16-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Does your workplace have an EBA (enterprise bargaining agreement) or a written policy on pay rises? That's where I'd start. Then I would speak to your HR department/person, it can't hurt to ask.

My work has an EBA so even though I'm on leave I still get the same pay rise as everyone else. That means I'm not financially penalised for taking approved leave. It's a large employer though so I'm very lucky.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Taiyed For This Useful Post:

Mrsbraxton  (16-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it's unusual. It's a % increase so only applies when you return to work and are getting paid anyway. But we don't actually tell people who are on unpaid parental leave what their increase is when they go up - we just look at it and adjust it when they return. Those on paid leave we notify immediately of course.

If someone would normally get a 4% increase, but only worked three months so only gets 1% I would definitely question it.

Bonuses are a different story of course. They are of course pro rated.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Mrsbraxton  (16-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for the replies.

No EBA or pay rise policy. My boss said no pay rise when I get back, next pay rise Jul 2015. I spoke to HR, she said I am not automatically ruled out coz of mat leave but as pay rises are based on performance, pay rise unlikely as I wasn't there to perform. I will try to push for it, nothing to loose I suppose!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I get our automatic pay rise every year (or whenever it goes up) but unless I work at least 9 months in a year I don't qualify for performance based pay rises.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Mrsbraxton  (17-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got my pay rise while on mayernity leave .. half way through my mat leave payments went up slightly.
    My end of yr bonus was pro rata though.. we are in an EBA too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No not normal. I got a pay raise while on maternity leave. It's no different then sick/annual/long service leave.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Mrsbraxton  (17-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would have to be back at work for a certain amount of weeks before a pay event to qualify, can't remember how many it is exactly, I think 16 or so. I missed one in September a couple of years ago as I had only returned in July. I work for a government dept. it is very annoying as a male colleague that has worked less time in total than me ( he started there after me, but I had mat leave and after I take it into account, I have been physically present longer than him) is a full 2 pay points ahead of me

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Fashionvictim For This Useful Post:

Mrsbraxton  (17-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I think it depends where you work. Pay rises are certainly not automatic in my industry and pretty much no-one in my company will be getting a pay rise this year. I even know of other companies in my industry where people are taking pay cuts just so they can keep their job.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

Mrsbraxton  (17-04-2014)