+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyjane211 View Post
    Hi pirlo, just NB, when people refer to out-of-pocket costs, they mean costs they had to pay up front which then may have been reimbursed by the private health fund later.
    When I refer to out of pocket, I mean what I paid after all rebates are received (e.g. If a scan was $300 which I paid up front then got a $200 rebate, my out of pocket was $100).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    When I refer to out of pocket, I mean what I paid after all rebates are received (e.g. If a scan was $300 which I paid up front then got a $200 rebate, my out of pocket was $100).
    Yeps that's how I would define it as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    Yeps that's how I would define it as well.
    Me too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyjane211 View Post
    Hi pirlo, just NB, when people refer to out-of-pocket costs, they mean costs they had to pay up front which then may have been reimbursed by the private health fund later.
    Thats incorrect.

When people refer to out of pocket it's the money they had to pay excluding Medicare rebate and PHI refund.
    So literally what stays out of your pocket

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

DailyDiversion  (23-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep when I say I was $10k out of pocket I mean that's what I paid after I got rebates back from PHI and Medicare.

Also, are you in the catchment for KEMH? They only take high risk patients if you're not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For us the out of pocket costs (that is after PHI and Medicare) were about $5k with each child. We are pregnant with our third and going private again. It seems crazy to have to pay when you have PHI. To us however, the peace of mind and continuity of being under the care of one Obstetrician is well worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    Yep when I say I was $10k out of pocket I mean that's what I paid after I got rebates back from PHI and Medicare.

Also, are you in the catchment for KEMH? They only take high risk patients if you're not.
    We are not in the catchment (although very close ) but we hope that given the previous emergency C-section and M/C can promote our case.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pirlo View Post
    We are not in the catchment (although very close ) but we hope that given the previous emergency C-section and M/C can promote our case.
    Unfortunately doesn't work that way I was treated for 2 ectopics there and a precious CS and they wouldn't take me for DD2 once I'd gotten past my viability scan. Frustrating!

Definitely worth a shot though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pirlo View Post
    Not to discount you and your wife's experiences but one previous caesar and a miscarriage does not make you high risk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are going private for our second with sjog this time,
    we had a rough birth with out first and wanted the privacy god forbid it happened again.

This time I am considered high risk as I have gestational diabetes and am very insulin dependant. Our oop expenses are stacking up like crazy then to find out bub will probably be admitted once born means another excess on top of mine. It's nice knowing we have the privacy of our own room with a toddler coming up for visits, however knowing we are in for some issues when bubs born (phi said so nicely if there are issues and bub has to go to scu we have to pay for it)
    and knowing it will cost more we wish we went public we didn't pay a cent for our sons treatments (lights,bloods etc), we also now have to have a c-section so hoping that doesn't tick over (phi said it won't but we will see).

This is our last however we wouldn't go private again simply because we have had things arise out of our control and now feel like we have to pay an absurd amount simply cause we aren't having a smooth pregnancy :/