+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    You're not gauranteed that anesthetist unfortunatly. I paid about $300 out of pocket for my first anesthetist but DD was an emergency CS and I was $1200 out of pocket, and I definitely wasn't expecting it!

Blood tests can be covered, just make sure you don't go to a SJOG lab. They charge above the medicare fee, and by a lot in some cases. I was out of pocket into the thousands for blood tests my daughter had while in NICU. Which unfortunatly can't be avoided once you're actually in hospital! And the safety net rebate doesn't apply for inpatient services which is something to remember. I thought I'd get heaps back for all mine and DDs tests but I got next to nothing

In all, having an emergency CS with a prem baby plus pregnancy care I was out of pocket close to $10k going private.
    Thanks for that. Did you add your baby to your PHI before delivery? If you had, wouldn't the PHI pay for her in-hospital stay and tests?

Sorry if I am asking too many questions but I want to try to avoid any surprises

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pirlo View Post
    For the blood tests, arent those covered by medicare? Blood tests are also done when using the public system so are they completely free when going public? Same as with ultrasounds?
    Everything with public is covered by medicare except the NT scan (optional at 12 weeks), GP visits (if you chose to go GP share care and they don't bulk bill) and some people have posted about sometimes paying for the morphology scan.

You wouldn't have to pay anything for a caesarean section in a public hospital.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

pirlo  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for that. Did you add your baby to your PHI before delivery? If you had, wouldn't the PHI pay for her in-hospital stay and tests?

Sorry if I am asking too many questions but I want to try to avoid any surprises

Yep she was added PHI back date births. So her NICU stay was covered, but not the blood tests and other services. Only the hospital bed really.
    You also get charged to had a paed check out bub before they leave which is normally another $150ish too, but that you can claim from medicare, for some reason I couldn't claim this on PHI also? Not sure why.

But yeah, there are lots of possible what ifs, but it's good to be aware of them. We weren't expecting such a huge bill!
    I know it doesn't happen with all births/babies, but you never know if you will be requiring the extra tests and care until it's actually happening.

ETA - some of the tests are covered, but private hospitals such as SJOG charge SO far above the scheduled fee you don't get a lot back at all. I had one bill that was $1000 in blood tests and I think I got back $150ish all up, medicare and PHI.

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP have you checked that your private health insurance covers Obstetrics?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    OP have you checked that your private health insurance covers Obstetrics?
    Yes. They do cover maternity and I am already past the waiting period. I am really shocked though that with health insurance, you may end up paying OOP of more than 5K ! makes you wonder if it is worth it or not...I am starting to consider Public although I really prefer for my wife to go private...

Dilemma !

Thanks
    Reviews
    makes you wonder if it is worth it or not...I am starting to consider Public although I really prefer for my wife to go private...
    And what does your wife want?

Why do you want her to have to have private care?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes. They do cover maternity and I am already past the waiting period. I am really shocked though that with health insurance, you may end up paying OOP of more than 5K ! makes you wonder if it is worth it or not...I am starting to consider Public although I really prefer for my wife to go private...

Dilemma !
    I went public and only paid for NT bloods. I was admitted early due to pre-eclampsia, had an induction then emergency csection, prem baby who was admitted to NICU for transfusions etc all up we were in hospital for 1.5weeks but paid nothing. Don't even want to think what it would've cost privately! Check out different models of care in your nearest hospitals. I saw the same 2 midwives all the way through my pregnancy in a public hospital.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LaDiDah For This Useful Post:

Kazza78  (22-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My wife has no issues...she just prefers a private room...and I want the private health care coz I guess there will be more follow ups with the OB (regular scans, etc...)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did shared care with my gp and went public. Which is basically the same as having an ob
    All appts were bulked billed after 20 weeks. All 3 scans had a Medicare refund.
    I guess going private you may get one or two more scans.
    The hospital I gave birth in and work in (public) has all single rooms. And from what I have heard other public maternity wards have the majority single rooms
    Like someone else said, go and check out public hospitals in area to see what you think. Obviously cs or natural, it is going to be free in public.
    At the end if the day whether public or private, the same things are done at each appt. - blood pressure, fundal height, follow up blood results and checking for position of bub, it's just that when private and have cs your ob is the one that is there with you on the day.
    Last edited by Kazza78; 22-04-2014 at 16:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My wife has no issues...she just prefers a private room...and I want the private health care coz I guess there will be more follow ups with the OB (regular scans, etc...)
    Check out your local public hospital, a lot have private rooms. Also, going public with a straight forward birth you guys could be home the next day anyway.

I'll be honest with you, while I loved my Ob and thought she was fantastic, my appointments with her were about 5 minutes each time. A quick "how are you feeling" and a quick scan. The midwife (which changed depending on what day my app was) did all my checks, urine samples, BP etc.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

Kazza78  (22-04-2014)