+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Medicare Safety Net

Hello All

I have a question regarding the Medicare Safety Net. My wife is pregnant and we have decided to go Private. Now the thing is, with private, you have to pay around $2000 in Ob management fees which the Medicare rebate is about $150. Now the thing is, my wife is only a few hundred dollars away from the Medicare Safety net so when we have to pay the fees, she wont be at the safety net but will go way past it once we pay.

Will the medicare rebate be for this bill considering that most of it was above the safety net?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The rebate for the ob management fee is capped by Medicare. From memory I think I got about $450 back. Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    I'm pretty sure there is only a set amount you get back from Medicare for the pregnancy management fee, regardless of whether you have reached the safety net or not.
    But once you pay it, you will be over the cap so any other appointments you should get extra back and be very little out of pocket. I think once I reached the safety net I was only paying about $7 for an ob appointment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bubintummy is spot on, I paid 2600 and got back 495, now I'm over safety net for rest of the year