+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by huggi3s View Post
    Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences/tips and warm wishes. I'm so confused and worried right now.

I checked in at the hospital two hours ago. Although there's still no sign of labour, the Doc advised that he can't give me the gel...as after an hour on the CTG machine, the chart shows I have apparently been experiencing contractions that I was not quite aware of (didn't feel anything bad, just the same dull pains in lower tummy that I've had the past few weeks)...is this normal?

Well he also confirmed that my cervix is still tightly closed and thick...he mentioned that I may have to get a c-section instead

"Faith makes all things possible. Hope makes all things bright. Love makes all things easy."
    What?? Why?? I'm no dr but I've never heard of a section just because you haven't started dilating yet? @wannawannabe is a middy, maybe she can she'd some light?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

BeeSam  (16-04-2014),MilkingMaid  (18-04-2014),Taiyed  (16-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree.. That's a bit of a jump. Before they broke my waters they were throwing the words c section around and I flat out said no it's not happening.. You have a right to refuse and sit and wait. I know you're probably over it all but you may just wait another few days and wake up in full blown labour on your own with no gel or drip. I've read about it so many times on here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by huggi3s View Post
    Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences/tips and warm wishes. I'm so confused and worried right now.

I checked in at the hospital two hours ago. Although there's still no sign of labour, the Doc advised that he can't give me the gel...as after an hour on the CTG machine, the chart shows I have apparently been experiencing contractions that I was not quite aware of (didn't feel anything bad, just the same dull pains in lower tummy that I've had the past few weeks)...is this normal?

Well he also confirmed that my cervix is still tightly closed and thick...he mentioned that I may have to get a c-section instead

"Faith makes all things possible. Hope makes all things bright. Love makes all things easy."
    Load of crap. If they were contractions you'd be feeling them. Unless they (doctors/midwives) can sit there and palpate moderate to strong contractions then they should put the gel in.

other thing they can do if they're worried about the gel (shouldn't put the gel in when there's contractions) is put an atards balloon in which mechanically opens it up enough to be able to break your waters. That's what they do for vbacs.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (17-04-2014),Taiyed  (16-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If your cervix is closed you can't be dialated and therefore the contractions were just Braxton hicks. That sounds all kinds of wrong to me, I'd be getting a second opinion. They don't need to do a c-section if baby & you are still healthy!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jentra2 For This Useful Post:

Taiyed  (16-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If bub hasn't dropped it is too dangerous to break your waters so maybe that is why they are talking possible c section. I wasn't aware they couldn't still try the gel if you were having contractions and in sure a closed cervix may also be a factor.

I was 1cm dilated from 38w so slightly different but bub hadn't dropped and the gel didn't make any difference so they were talking possible c section but with walking around while waiting for the head ob to check(2 hours) and make the decision bub somehow dropped and was born 4 hours after the syntocin was started.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jentra2 View Post
    If your cervix is closed you can't be dialated and therefore the contractions were just Braxton hicks. That sounds all kinds of wrong to me, I'd be getting a second opinion. They don't need to do a c-section if baby & you are still healthy!
    Totally agree with you. I had monitoring done right up to 42 weeks and was having regular braxton hicks that I couldn't really feel and my cervix was closed tight. A second opinion is a very good idea!

Thanks
    Reviews
    if bub is happy and healthy in there, there is no need for induction of labour or c section.

ask for monitoring, check of fluid levels, and then go home and wait for baby to come.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

Taiyed  (17-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone. I'm so very shocked with our public hospital.

Following my check in, I was finally given 1st gel at 10.30pm by the 2nd doctor. From 2.30am I started experiencing very strong contractions. At 7.10am a gush of blood that looked diluted escaped me. I advised the midwife on duty who simply told me that I lost the plug...The bed remains uncleaned so I had to continue resting on the same sheets.
    I found out a few hrs later that the Doctors & other midwives were not made aware of this new progress...hence they did not check to confirm whether it was only the plug or also broken water. They performed a cervix check anyway to see if I should get the 2nd dose of gel. They postponed the gel on suspicion that my water had broken but did nothing more to confirm. At this stage they only advised that my cervix is still too thick and has only dilated 1 to 2cm.

It wasn't until a different doctor took over that he decided to confirm using the proper tool, as he says checking the cervix with their fingers could cause an infection if water has broken.
    It was broken. Further gel is no longer an option so I will be placed on drip tomorrow morning and if cervix remains thick/unable to dilate then at least theatre staff will be available for C-sect.

I've hired a TENS machine but all day it has been extremely painful with contractions occurring every 1-2mins. At midnight the midwife from yesterday advised me that I could take panadein and sleeping pills to catch some sleep. When she brought in the pills I was in middle of a contraction and could not take it immediately. She then accidentally dropped the cup of pills but picked it up & told me to take it. I said that it is unhygienic since many ppl have walked this floor and even a cochroach was stepped on by her yesterday. She then said that it is completely safe to still take them. Is this the current standard of hygiene in Australia?

What are your viewpoints?

Last edited by huggi3s; 18-04-2014 at 01:51.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to huggi3s For This Useful Post:

CitrusRainxxx  (18-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so sorry for your experience.

Unfortunately, you are not alone. The hospital system in Australia is in a bad way. Continuity of care is rare, and so things get missed, patients get ignored and staff forget they are dealing with real people.

Do you have somebody you can call in to help you be heard? Remain active and upright if you can. DO you have access to a birth ball? Bouncing or walking on stairs can help baby to apply pressure to the cervix that will help dilation. Now that your waters have broken, Avoid vaginal examinations because these can be a source of infection.

Best wishes, and hope you have baby in your arms soon.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

CitrusRainxxx  (18-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was induced at 37 weeks due to pre eclampsia. It took 3 lots of gel 6 hours apart to start my labour.

mother to a beautiful baby boy