+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 41wks+3days booked for gel today

I'm going to be a FTM but after all the scary birth stories from the women in my family...I'm quite nervous about labour.

At 41wks & 3days, there's been no signs of water breaking, spotting or contractions. I've been told that apparently my cervix is still closed, slightly crooked and thick ?? and bub has not yet engaged even though he's been in the correct position for over a month now.

The hospital has booked me in for the gel this afternoon and if it works then they'll put me on the drip tomorrow...

I'm excited about meeting bub but at the same time stressed out of my mind about induction & labour.

Would love to share some of your experiences/advice on what to expect with this induction process...how long it'll take before contractions start and does using a TENS machine help at all?

--
    "Faith makes all things possible. Hope makes all things bright. Love makes all things easy."

Thanks
    Reviews
    You may find it will all just happen beautifully. My middie told me that if I went over, it was most likely 10 days after that it would all happen especially for first time mums ( must've been common in stats) I wasn't induced but had my waters broken and then everything started great with no further help needed. I hope it's a nice easy process for you. Try and be calm, move around as much as possible and focus on meeting your gorgeous bubba. Good luck

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi, how exciting!
    I was induced with my last baby due to my waters breaking spontaneously at home and labour failing to progress.
    The gel didn't work for me and so I was hooked up to the drip in the evening which kick started my contractions and I was in labour almost immediately.
    Don't listen to any "horror stories"... no good will come of it of you go in fearing the worst. Every birth is different. Mine were both amazing, yes it hurts, but you will get through it. Go in with an open mind, take it one step at a time, focus on the end result and just remember, labour is temporary! It will all be forgotten the moment you have your baby in your arms.
    I had zero complications with my induction. Labour lasted approx 6 hours.
    Good luck x

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was induced with both my kids. I researched a bit toget an idea what it would be like and seems like every story is different! I had my waters broken and the drip with DS - he was born 4hrs later. I was already 3cms tho. Some tips are keep moving, use music/reading/talking/laughing/deep breathing to distract and relax. Use shower or bath (I couldn't with the drip and fetal monitoring but I've heard they are good). Ask for pain relief if u want it. Know that it will end and it will all be worth it

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was induced with number 1 & 3 my last one I was induced 41&2 days I had the gel put in at around 9 at night by 12 I was starting to feel everything ramping up by 6ish the next morning (41&3) I started the gas I also had my waters broken and from there it got pretty painful at 12.30 they thought I was ready to push 2 hours after they realised i wasn't, so by then I was begging for the epidural thankgod the ob was there cause the midwifes weren't going to let me :-(
    When it came time to push at around 4.30 I was exhausted and because of the epidural I really couldn't feel anything so felt like everything I was doing wasn't productive, at around 5.20 the ob stepped in got the stirrups out, vacuum and pretty much reached into my vagina and pulled dd3 out she was stuck and about 1kg bigger then expected

They must have thought she wasn't going to be doing so well because the room stared to fill up but she came out completely fine

I won't right about dd1 induction though

Looking back I honestly don't think it was that bad nothing like I wanted though but once I was at home with dd3 I really forgot about the pain and disappointment and would go through that again in a heartbeat

I've had a whole heap of friends this year being first time mums who go induced and everything went smoothly & baby was born in 6/7 hours

My tip is no plan just do what You feel like at the time
    Hot water at the time it doesn't feel like it's doing much but omg it is.
    Your body your baby don't be pushed or bullied.

Tens machine I've never used but have heard a few positive stories about it
    Last edited by bunkx; 16-04-2014 at 10:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Forgot to add I used tens machine in early labor. It was ok but not a huge relief. More of a distraction. I would say practise with it if u can coz I found it a bit annoying, maybe because I wasn't used to it?

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hopefully all you'll need is the gel & it'll all just happen by itself after that

Ive had 3 kids and all 3 were induced for different reasons and induced in different ways

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Be aware you might need 2-3 lots of the gel which could take a couple of days. Labour (after they start the drip) could be 12-16 hours.

It's not a quick process.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Won't tell my story... just wanted to stop on and say Congratulations on meeting bub soon and hope in goes great for you

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences/tips and warm wishes. I'm so confused and worried right now.

I checked in at the hospital two hours ago. Although there's still no sign of labour, the Doc advised that he can't give me the gel...as after an hour on the CTG machine, the chart shows I have apparently been experiencing contractions that I was not quite aware of (didn't feel anything bad, just the same dull pains in lower tummy that I've had the past few weeks)...is this normal?

Well he also confirmed that my cervix is still tightly closed and thick...he mentioned that I may have to get a c-section instead

"Faith makes all things possible. Hope makes all things bright. Love makes all things easy."