+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would let anyone touch let alone kiss my children if they had a coldsore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think if they have an obvious cold sore or feel like one might be coming on then of course they shouldn't be kissing anyone - especially baby. If they are clear though there shouldn't be a problem as their saliva alone is not infectious.

I used to get terrible cold sores as a child - all over my face too, not just my lips! I was even given a clinical trial version of zovirax to test. My DH happens to be in that 10% of the population with natural immunity, never had a cold sore in his life - weirdly enough, since we started dating I've barely had any. I'm really hoping our new bub will take after him.

You'll want to ask your healthcare provider, but I'm wondering if you're breastfeeding and take a Lysine supplement if that would go through to bub and provide some protection to ease your concerns?

Sent from my HTC One X using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I would really hope that if Grandparents or the like had an 'active' lesion etc that they would have the sense for want of a better word to not kiss a newborn or young children.

My parents don't carry the HSV virus', but if they did, I know for sure they wouldn't kiss their grandkids. Dh's parents on the other hand do carry the virus and I know for sure his Mum in particular would need a subtle or not so subtle reminder as she is the sort of person who is not adverse to spoon feeding a baby and then sucking on the spoon at the same time so in that regard I wouldn't hesitate to get DH to say something if she had a cold sore and was around the kids.

Once you have the herpes virus, you have it for life, so if it offends someone's sensibilities for me to say something, then sorry, I am not risking the heath of my babies.
    Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 16-04-2014 at 10:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My dad and I get cold sores. I get them very rarely, maybe 1 every 1-2 years, but dad gets a few every year. He's so cautious when he has one, like washing his glass or mug immediately after finishing it so no one else accidentally drinks from it and puts his towel out to wash after each use so no one wipes their hands on it. I think because he is so cautious about it, I never really thought about his cold sores and my daughter. I don't think it is overkill to remind people not to kiss babies and to have good personal hygiene when they have a visible cold sore, but I know my dad would be devestated if he was never allowed to kiss my daughter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum came to babysit the other day with visible cold sores. It was fine with me as I trust her to be extremely cautious. After all she raised all four of her own kids as a carrier of the virus and none of us have ever caught it off her.

However I must admit if it was my first newborn I might have been a bit more freaked out!

I'm another who thinks its a bit over the top so say to a grandparent that because they carry it they can never ever kiss their grand kids.

If they have a visible cold sore of course you could politely mention something like, oh mum, dad, let's just be careful today with the cold sores, would you mind washing your hands before you pick up bub and of course no kissing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by LoCo View Post
    I would just tell them your midwife or someone strongly suggested it and she is the one who pointed out the risks due to recent cases then show them that article someone posted in the other thread. Tell them things have changed these days and the doctors are more aware of what hurts/kills our babies.

Tell them because of what you have read and heard you are saying it to everyone.

Anyway I don't care who I offend anymore they can all get stuffed inlaws parents family friends it's my baby's LIFE!!!
    This is what I did, said the midwife suggested it and I've told everyone. But I've also known the dangers for years as I work with infants. I linked an article I found, where's the one from the thread?

To those that believe it's over the top...I've always been taught (from my mom actually) that coldsores are contagious before there's even a blister, hence me asking them to refrain. Some articles online say only contagious with a blister others say contagious from when you feel the tickle. I'm not going to know if they are 'feeling a tickle' and lately I've had coldsores pop up with no 'tickle' warning at all.

I don't feel it's necessary for them to kiss him to bond with him or enjoy his company. Regardless, my decisions need to be respected and I shouldn't have to explain myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlais View Post

You'll want to ask your healthcare provider, but I'm wondering if you're breastfeeding and take a Lysine supplement if that would go through to bub and provide some protection to ease your concerns?

Sent from my HTC One X using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I've read that it's still up in the air that lysine is safe while breastfeeding so haven't been taking it.

Apparently he may have gotten antibodies from me in the womb since I carry the virus so may be rare for him to catch it right now...but, there's also only a 1-2% chance you will loose your baby after 12 weeks gestation and I lost my daughter so rare statistics don't really mean anything to me anymore.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 16-04-2014 at 16:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    This is what I did, said the midwife suggested it and I've told everyone. But I've also known the dangers for years as I work with infants. I linked an article I found, where's the one from the thread?

To those that believe it's over the top...I've always been taught (from my mom actually) that coldsores are contagious before there's even a blister, hence me asking them to refrain. Some articles online say only contagious with a blister others say contagious from when you feel the tickle. I'm not going to know if they are 'feeling a tickle' and lately I've had coldsores pop up with no 'tickle' warning at all.

I don't feel it's necessary for them to kiss him to bond with him or enjoy his company. Regardless, my decisions need to be respected and I shouldn't have to explain myself.
    You asked a question on a public forum, you got an answer. Apologies if this is not the one you were looking for.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Milly Molly Mandy View Post

I'm another who thinks its a bit over the top so say to a grandparent that because they carry it they can never ever kiss their grand kids.
    I'm not saying they can never kiss him, I'm asking them to refrain while he is a young baby.

Also, frankly I don't trust my mom to make wise decisions. She has multiple health problems due to poor decision making, hurts herself regularly due to not using common sense, etc. So I definitely don't trust her to be aware of when a coldsore is coming and to be sensible around him.

My dad doesn't get them as frequently (it's my mom who gets them regularly) but the sh*t would hit the fan even more if I made the message that personal rather than just a blanket statement that nobody kisses him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sydney1980 View Post
    You asked a question on a public forum, you got an answer. Apologies if this is not the one you were looking for.
    ???? I don't understand this response? I wasn't offended, just explaining my reasoning....

Eta: I meant explain myself to my parents in the comment you quoted.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 16-04-2014 at 16:27.