+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Weaning 10 month old

I'm not really sure of the next step in my 10 month old twins' feeding and would love some advice. At the moment they are breastfed at 7am, solids at 8am, breastfed at 11am, solids at 12noon, breastfed at 3pm, solids at 5pm, bottle of formula at 6:30pm and sleep through the night. I want to drop the breastfeeds (for various reasons) starting now and by the time they are 1 year old. They are fantastic with solids so are getting a lot from that, but they are only drinking a little water with solids, not regularly. Should I replace the breastfeeds with a bottle or just move to cups of water/milk? What order would you drop the breastfeeds in? They don't seem desperate for the 11am or 3pm feed anymore and I wonder if I can just drop them one by one or if they are too young for that. All help would be great!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow congratulations on breast feeding your twins for so long :yellclap:
    I personally would drop the 11am feed first, only because if you drop the 3pm feed then your body is going from the last feed at 11am then to 7am the next morning without a feed.
    Then your left with 7am and 3pm.
    I've always kept the morning breastfeed as the last one to wean only because I enjoy the morning snuggles
    I would also replace the feed with a formula feed until 12months and then wean off those then too.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Yes I agree with my beloved ones re which feed to drop and also to replace with formula.

Just wanted to add, I would give the formula in a dippy or straw cup to encourage drinking from a cup and love away from bottles- and by about 12 months possibly change the night time bottle to a cup, too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with the sippy cup idea, thanks. I'm not keen to do more bottles at this stage. One a day has been enough and I figure they should be moving on from them. Do you wait until 1 year to introduce cows milk as a drink? Mine have it in food but not as a drink.

Also (sorry about all the questions!) how often should I offer water throughout the day? I don't want to take away from milk feeds.

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I would offer water or cows milk with very meal, and keep a cup of water accessible at all times for when the mood strikes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Sorry, meant to also say the 'old' way (way back in 09 when I was doing this with my twins!) was no cows milk before one. Nowadays they say anything but raw egg and honey is fine, including drinks of cows milk. I even know of people whose baby refuses bm around 8 months and went straight into cows milk. I wouldn't follow that advice myself nor highly recommend it, but its ok for drinks nowadays

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi nat, i'll just share with you what I did. I never used a bottle, never bothered with formula. I weaned on to sippy cups as soon as they were sitting up and able to manage one. I started full strength cows milk and later made it weaker after 12 months. I introduced solids rather early, but didn't start to cut back the breastfeeds until they were having three or more meals of solids each day. For a few months, from about 6 to 8 months, they had four bf and 3 meals, each day, then I started dropping the bf. First stopped the middle of the day feeds, then the morning, and last the night time feed. I had weaned them by 9 or 10 months. Well done to you. Marie.