+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 71 to 78 of 78
  1. #71
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,973
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    605
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My mum left me at home asleep in my cot during the day when I was about 18 months I think, possibly it was to pick up my brother from kinder.

    She was pregnant and in a minor car accident while she was out so she had to ring the neighbour and get him to go and look after me. (Which leads me to believe she probably didn't lock the house either). Oh, the 1970s!

    And when our other neighbour was minding my brother once when he was a baby she needed to go to the shops so she sat his bouncy chair (bouncinette?) on the drivers seat with a seat belt around it. Good lord!

    My friend's mum also used to leave her asleep in her cot while she walked up the street for kinder pickup.

    Times have changed!

  2. #72
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    178
    Thanks
    50
    Thanked
    32
    Reviews
    0
    my ex partner became addicted to drugs (one of my reasons we broke up) and he told me he would often being hanging around other parents getting high who would mention their kids and he'd say "where are they now?" "at home" "when was the last time you went to check on them?" "yesterday" it's just revolting. These are toddlers/pre-schoolers being left home alone for several hours and sometimes even days. A friend of mine was raised by a parent like this, she was a sex worker and a drug addict who used to bring her clients into her home, locking my friend and her little brother in their bedroom. They witnessed their mother being attacked more than once. She doesn't speak to her mother anymore, understandably. She also never attended primary school cos her mother wouldn't take her, she walked in her pajamas cos she wanted to attend but the school made her leave as she wasn't wearing the uniform.

  3. #73
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,710
    Thanks
    9,559
    Thanked
    12,691
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lovebeingamum! View Post
    I've left my 8yr old home while I ducked out to get milk, and took my 4yr old with me.
    DS1 was awake and knew where I was going & I was gone for about 5mins I locked all the doors and gave him strict instructions and we also live in a gated estate.
    I had a sick feeling in my stomach and it felt so wrong.
    All the "what ifs".
    You'd never forgive yourself.

    I think if they think it's "ok" to leave a 1 year old alone, I wonder what else they think is acceptable.





    DH (34) Me (30)
    DS1 (8) * DS2 (4)
    ❤️ My Family ❤️

    Egg donor 2012
    Surely it took you longer than 5 minutes to strap your 4 year old in the car at both ends, drive to the shops, get milk, pay, drive back?

  4. #74
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    313
    Thanks
    354
    Thanked
    117
    Reviews
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliveaux View Post
    my ex partner became addicted to drugs (one of my reasons we broke up) and he told me he would often being hanging around other parents getting high who would mention their kids and he'd say "where are they now?" "at home" "when was the last time you went to check on them?" "yesterday" it's just revolting. These are toddlers/pre-schoolers being left home alone for several hours and sometimes even days. A friend of mine was raised by a parent like this, she was a sex worker and a drug addict who used to bring her clients into her home, locking my friend and her little brother in their bedroom. They witnessed their mother being attacked more than once. She doesn't speak to her mother anymore, understandably. She also never attended primary school cos her mother wouldn't take her, she walked in her pajamas cos she wanted to attend but the school made her leave as she wasn't wearing the uniform.
    That is absolutely heartbreaking. I feel so sad reading things like this. I hope ur poor friend was able to overcome this awful upbringing.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to dollypops For This Useful Post:

    lovebeingamum!  (30-04-2014)

  6. #75
    MilkingMaid's Avatar
    MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    9,661
    Thanks
    3,787
    Thanked
    2,144
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I remember reading a few years ago that it is/was quite common in Japan I think it was to leave a baby asleep in a cot, and the parents go to the movies!! I DK exactly how true it was, but far out!

    Bizarre what people think is OK...

  7. #76
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    8,705
    Thanks
    581
    Thanked
    647
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    They wont be babysitting my DS. He is 8- a very responsible 8, and I have just only started leaving him for a quick 10min run to the shops to buy milk- I've done it maybe twice in the last 12months.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to SimplyMum For This Useful Post:

    lovebeingamum!  (30-04-2014)

  9. #77
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    732
    Thanks
    290
    Thanked
    85
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Surely it took you longer than 5 minutes to strap your 4 year old in the car at both ends, drive to the shops, get milk, pay, drive back?
    We live abt 300m from the servo.
    Minus one strapping in; cause that would be at the house and therefore we haven't left DS alone, have we?
    But yes, perhaps it was 8-10 mins if I think about it.
    Thanks for pointing it out? 😕
    I'm puzzled as to why that would be your comment and the only thing you took from my post.



    DH (34) Me (30)
    DS1 (8) * DS2 (4)
    ❤️ My Family ❤️

    Egg donor 2012
    Last edited by lovebeingamum!; 30-04-2014 at 22:43.

  10. #78
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,710
    Thanks
    9,559
    Thanked
    12,691
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lovebeingamum! View Post
    We live abt 300m from the servo.
    Minus one strapping in; cause that would be at the house and therefore we haven't left DS alone, have we?
    But yes, perhaps it was 8-10 mins if I think about it.
    Thanks for pointing it out? 😕
    I'm puzzled as to why that would be your comment and the only thing you took from my post.



    DH (34) Me (30)
    DS1 (8) * DS2 (4)
    ❤️ My Family ❤️

    Egg donor 2012
    I was confused as I can't imagine any trip to the servo being 5 minutes.... it makes more sense now that I know the servo is 300m up the road.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Disappointed and shocked!!
    By Fiery in forum General Chat
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 22-02-2014, 05:21
  2. Devestated and totally shocked.
    By PorkyPies in forum Terminations
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 13-02-2014, 17:11

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Einsteinz Music
Make music at Einsteinz Music in age-appropriate class in Sydney's Inner West, Eastern Suburbs or North Shore. For ages 6 mths - 4 yrs. All music is live! Christmas Gift certificates available for full term or casual classes. Call 0431 338 143
sales & new stuffsee all
True Fairies
True Fairies is the first interactive website where children can engage and speak with a real fairy through the unique webcam fairy portal. Each session is tailored to the child, and is filled with enchantment and magic.
Visit website to find out more!
featured supporter
L'il Aussie Prems Foundation
An Australian charity supporting families of premature babies & children. The charity assists families who are at high risk of giving birth prematurely, who have babies currently in hospital and families with toddlers who were born too soon.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!