+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default After some veggie side dish ideas.

I tend to chop up or grate a heap of veggies into our actual meals, as lately we eat a lot of casseroles and that sort of food. We get the veggies, but I've been sick and just have this hankering for veggies that AREN'T saucy or part of the dish.
    Share your tried and true side dishes that have lots of yummy veggies that are a bit different.

One that I quite like is chopped up asparagus and mushrooms, mixed with a little olive oil and garlic and spread out in a shallow dish baked for about 30 minutes.

Another is fresh green beans cut into about 1.5-2 inch pieces that have been lightly blanched - they should still have a little crunch. When cooked, drain them and mix in a teeny bit of butter and some chopped up shaved almonds.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Thinly slice some potatoes like cream delight (approximate 1 per adult, 1/2 per child) and 1/2-1 red capsicum.
    Fry off some garlic, add in potatoes and capsicum and add enough chicken or veg stock to cover. Simmer until potatoes are cooked through and serve.
    The veg should soak up most of the stock while cooking so its not really saucy.

I also do a very simple but delicious potato bake. Thinly slice and then arrange in layers in a baking dish 1 sweet potato, one brown onion and 3-4 potatoes depending on size. Mix together 300ml cream and a 40g pkt of salt reduced French onion soup and pour over veg. Sprinkle some grated tasty cheese on top and bake for around 40 min at 180. It's delicious and very versatile. I've added diced bacon to it before, but to be honest prefer it without.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    bump.

Great idea for a thread OP!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cube and par steam an assortment of vegies. I like to use pumpkin, sweet potato, potato, carrots, beans and broccoli. Place in a baking dish. Mix up a carton of thickened cream with 1-2 packets of spring veggie soup mix and pour over veggies. Top with grated cheese and bake until golden. (Quantities will vary according to how many veggies etc that you use)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I just steam veggies with a sliver of real butter, splash of olive oil and a squeeze of lemon - yummy and fresh ( broccoli, carrots, beans, cauliflower and asparagus usually)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (15-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Some of my regulars are:

Garlic and chilli (can omit chilli) broccoli - boil or steam broccoli until tender then drain. Add some olive oil to a pan and saute the garlic and chilli then add the broccoli back to the pan and toss for a few minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Brussels Sprouts with bacon - slice sprouts finely and saute in some butter with diced bacon or prosciutto. Season with salt and pepper.

Green beans with balsamic dressing - boil or steam beans until tender, then drain and saute in a bit of olive oil with some garlic. Drizzle over some balsamic vinegar and toss to coat.

Sauteed mushrooms, asparagus and cherry tomatoes.

Chargrilled vegie salad.

Ratatouille - might be a bit saucey though.

Any stirfried veg - I'm doing yellow squash, zucchini, and bok choy tonight with some crushed garlic and a touch of hoisin sauce.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

#Mama  (14-04-2014),Elijahs Mum  (14-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (14-04-2014),misskittyfantastico  (14-04-2014)

Rutabaga is offline Getting it together, one day at a time.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    These all sound delicious, subbing cos I want to try new stuff

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    I haven't done those for ages! Guess what we are having tomorrow night !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    My favorite is baked veg.
    Zucchini, mushroom, red and green capsicum and yellow squash topped with diced onion or preferably spring onion, garlic and mixed herb and spices. All mixed together and baked.
    Great hot and lovely cold on cruskits spread with a little philly cheese.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app