+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 3 year old meltdown over not following routine

My almost 3 year old can be very quick to temper, her tantrums can be very full on. She has also been a breath holder.
    She screamed the house down and started hitting and kicking yesterday because I tried to put a band aid on her.

I've noticed lately, she looses it if I don't follow her routine that she's made up.
    Little things like closing the hallway door behind us before bed time or turning her pillow pet night light on for her (even though she knows how to do it)
    She will loose it and if I don't blow on her food for her it don't bring her spoon down straight away for her food.
    Sometimes she will scream and cry before I've had the chance to even attempt to do any of the above.

Just normal 3 year old behaviour do you think or is there something more?

DH & I <3
    DD 2 years old
    DS born July 2013
    Lolakitty - fur baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My ds had similar behaviours for a while when he was around the same age. We often have to "re create" something so that it followed ds's routine. For example If I accidentally forgot that he fetches the book before bedtime or pulls out the plug in the bath.... he had a total meltdown which would continue for ages and ages unless I went back and re created the event that he was upset over and let him do his thing... Sometimes dd would forget that ds opens the door when we got home from an outing and ds would have a total meltdown and the only way to stop it is the whole family going back outside pretending to arrive home again and letting ds open the door... it really got a bit whacko for a while and I used to wonder if it was "normal" behaviour but he has since grown out of it...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies
    Sounds like just another stage I guess.
    There's so much you just don't read/hear about until it happens with toddlers!

DH & I <3
    DD 2 years old
    DS born July 2013
    Lolakitty - fur baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RipperRita View Post
    My ds had similar behaviours for a while when he was around the same age. We often have to "re create" something so that it followed ds's routine. For example If I accidentally forgot that he fetches the book before bedtime or pulls out the plug in the bath.... he had a total meltdown which would continue for ages and ages unless I went back and re created the event that he was upset over and let him do his thing... Sometimes dd would forget that ds opens the door when we got home from an outing and ds would have a total meltdown and the only way to stop it is the whole family going back outside pretending to arrive home again and letting ds open the door... it really got a bit whacko for a while and I used to wonder if it was "normal" behaviour but he has since grown out of it...
    We do this too! She'll be four in June and I STILL have to do it. I've been wondering if the recreation of events enables her and that's why she still has meltdowns until I do it right?! But the tantrums are so full on, Id do anything to stop them.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by preggasaurus View Post
    We do this too! She'll be four in June and I STILL have to do it. I've been wondering if the recreation of events enables her and that's why she still has meltdowns until I do it right?! But the tantrums are so full on, Id do anything to stop them.....
    ds turns 5 in two months and only just outgrew it about 6 months ago, so hang in there... she should outgrow it soon enough