+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default I'm depressed and worried about my baby. Has anyone been here?

<p> I guess I'm mostly looking for reassurance and wanting to hear from women with healthy babies who had prenatal depression. </p>

<p> My family is going through a rough time. Only weeks after I announced my first pregnancy my parents announced that they are divorcing after 32 years of what we thought was a wonderful marriage (dad cheated). My husband has been very supportive but I was already struggling with depression and now its much worse. </p>

<p> We are both incredibly worried about the effect of my mood on the baby and angry at this situation. As much as I can I'm keeping my distance. I've always been very close to my parents and its really painful to not have their support right now. </p>

<p>I have a psychiatrist, psych nurse and GP who are trying to help me but I'm still so worried. How do I know that my baby isn't damaged?</p>

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bambipickle View Post
    <p> I guess I'm mostly looking for reassurance and wanting to hear from women with healthy babies who had prenatal depression. </p>

<p> My family is going through a rough time. Only weeks after I announced my first pregnancy my parents announced that they are divorcing after 32 years of what we thought was a wonderful marriage (dad cheated). My husband has been very supportive but I was already struggling with depression and now its much worse. </p>

<p> We are both incredibly worried about the effect of my mood on the baby and angry at this situation. As much as I can I'm keeping my distance. I've always been very close to my parents and its really painful to not have their support right now. </p>

<p>I have a psychiatrist, psych nurse and GP who are trying to help me but I'm still so worried. How do I know that my baby isn't damaged?</p>
    I haven't had pre natal depression but I had a tough time during my dd's pregnancy and was highly anxious. I must commend you first and foremost that you're considering your childs wellbeing. Tells me you are an awesome mum. I'm someone who does believe that our mood affects the unborn child but I also know its the love, affection and bond that we have with the child once baby is born that counts the most. My dd is a happy, well adjusted beautiful little girl who has been adored from birth by me and her brother. As long as you are doing all that you can now and in the future to support your child then your baby will be just fine. It sounds like you are doing that thus far. Big hugs to you. I imagine it would be difficult not to worry

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BbBbBh For This Useful Post:

bambipickle  (15-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I suffered extreme anxiety throughout both my pregnancies and had two of the calmest babies imaginable. I also had PND and post natal anxiety and you'd never ever know it if you met my 3 and 4 yr olds who are both really well adjusted, confident and secure kids. I still find it hard to believe that my mind and body was so stressed and yet I have produced such well adjusted kids.

If you think about it, women give birth in some horrendous circumstances... ie: War, extreme poverty, death of partner etc and still have healthy babies.

My midwives used to constantly tell me to stop stressing as it wasn't good for my baby when I was pregnant which only served to stress me out even more. But the end result was 2 very healthy bouncing babies, perfect in every single way... They did suffer food allergies but I don't think that is related in anyway to anxiety on babies in utero.

Bubs will be fine xx

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I also had severe depression and anxiety during my pregnancy with my dd. I really struggled to look after myself during the pregnancy and like the others I have created a calm, peaceful child who is amazingly well adjusted. She has some health issues but these are not related to my pregnancy at all. Like a pp, by thinking of your child you are already an amazing mum I hope like me you feel better after the birth - amazingly I didn't get post natal depression and felt so much better when the hormones changed.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CookingMonster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had prenatal depression one month before I was due to give birth to my second child and she turned out quite fine. She is the most behaved, well adjusted out of all three of my kids. I also got post natal depression so be prepared for that as well. It's all your hormones going crazy during pregnancy. Your thoughts are racing and you are thinking the worst. Your parents divorce is also a shock to your system and this has just added to everything that you have on your plate. Be kind to yourself and take deep breaths.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hopefulmum2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you ladies. You're all wonderful. You're right - a lot of women have it so much worse with grief, war, poverty and other unthinkable distress in their lives. I have a charmed life in comparison. I just need to keep remembering that.
    Give me strength!