+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by IvyRain View Post
    I'd be honest and say that you don't want to go cos you can't afford to buy anything but maybe also add something like "I'd love to see you though, want to come over for a cuppa next week?" or something so she doesn't think it's her that you're avoiding fwiw, I hate product parties!
    Honesty goes a long way. Definitely be honest in your reasoning for not going, and as suggested above, ask to catch up with her some other time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't like those parties for the same reasons. You always get conned into buying something you didn't really need and then I either feel had for spending way more than I can afford or not buying anything and having that awkward conversation as to why I don't want anything.

I agree with PP. Decline - thanks so much I am unable to make the party but would love to see you for a catch up. Are you free (insert date) for coffee?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I decline invites to product parties without really giving a reason these days just 'sorry i can't come hope it goes well'

I dont mind tupperware & enjo but i buy it when it suits me not when someone is having a party.

Then linen & underwear parties i really dislike i brought a doona set once when i was a single mum and it cost quite a bit and was nothing special really.

Thanks
    Reviews
    +1 for honesty. Explain the situation to her, & if she's a real friend, she'll understand.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just tell my friends that I'm not into product parties then I don't have to come up with an excuse everytime

6. The Following User Says Thank You to grumpysmurf For This Useful Post:

LaceyGracie  (15-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IvyRain View Post
    I'd be honest and say that you don't want to go cos you can't afford to buy anything but maybe also add something like "I'd love to see you though, want to come over for a cuppa next week?" or something so she doesn't think it's her that you're avoiding fwiw, I hate product parties!
    This is what I'd go with, though I like product parties. But even if I was declining something I'd want to go to I try to suggest an alternative catch up so they know that I'm not brushing them off, especially if it's the second decline.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

IvyRain  (14-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by River Song View Post
    I would be honest....if she is a good friend, she will respect your decision.
    Yes this. I had an aquaintance that was a consultant for about 6 party plans in a few years. She had few friends and family so always invited the same people, me included. I went to the first couple bc she pressured me and bought nothing (I refused to buy a $60 candle just to make her money when I could get an almost identical one at the reject shop for 4 bucks). Then I just told her straight I wasn't interested in party plans as they were overpriced and $300 for a set of sheets was out of my price range.

Just be honest and tell her you are saving for the baby, and feel pressured to buy something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel the same way, can't stand them.

I'm always very "polite but firm" about these things, I usually say something like thanks for thinking of me but I have a firm policy on not getting involved in party plan, but would love to catch up for a coffee sometime!

If they take offence to that, then f?!@ them, friendship isn't built on favours.

:-/

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would keep it super simple. Sorry I cant make it that day as I have a previous engagement. Lets do a coffee soon?

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last party I got invited to was something like essential oils or linen or candles or something rubbish like that.
    My response:
    "Thanks for the invite but it's not really my kinda thing - hope you have fun!"
    Easy, honest and to the point!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bedlover For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (14-04-2014)