+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How to tactfully decline an invite to a product party

I got invited to a product party by a friend. I hate those things, I hate feeling under pressure to buy some overpriced thing that I don't need.

Now that we have a baby on the way we are starting to budget carefully so I won't be buying any of the products. I can get them at the $2 stores so I don't feel the need to spend top dollar. I feel bad if I go & eat the free food etc & don't buy something.

This friend has also hosted another product party before & last time I just said it was too far to travel & she got really cranky at me for not going.

If I tell her I can't afford it she'll just say to come anyway & not to buy anything, but there is always so much pressure from the consultants etc & I don't want to just sit there the whole time feeling embarrassed.

Because I declined last time, I feel like it's even harder to decline this time. Is there a way I can tactfully get out of it without her getting cranky?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just tell her you have something on/you are out of town. I also don't like product parties, I hate the pressure to buy/sign up and be a host, so I also try to avoid them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Is it in the evening? Can you say you're too tired because of the pregnancy to do anything after work?

Or if it's a weekend, can you say family function?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be honest....if she is a good friend, she will respect your decision.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

BbBbBh  (14-04-2014),delirium  (14-04-2014),Jenga  (14-04-2014),Jontu  (14-04-2014),LlamaMa  (14-04-2014),smallpotatoes  (14-04-2014),VicPark  (14-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by River Song View Post
    I agree with this

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be honest too. If not, she will invite you to those things for the rest of your friendship and you will always feel this way.

I always feel uncomfortable when i get invited to them too, but after being sucked into unnecessary purchases a few times i decided i had to just be honest. My bank account, and my sanity thank me for it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just thank her for the invite and say you won't go as you don't need anything and feel bad going along and not buying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You don't actually have to give a reason... just say something like, 'sorry, I can't make it. I hope you have a good time.'

11. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

Mezmerised  (14-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd be honest and say that you don't want to go cos you can't afford to buy anything but maybe also add something like "I'd love to see you though, want to come over for a cuppa next week?" or something so she doesn't think it's her that you're avoiding fwiw, I hate product parties!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to IvyRain For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (14-04-2014)