+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Zantac and losec for babies

Hi there i m new to this forum. I would like to ask all the fabulous mum out there that have experience with reflux baby. How long does it take for zantac to kick in? My ds is on zantac but zantac doesnt seem to help so dr prescribe losec. I give ds losec. This is the third day. But i notice each time i fed ds he is more unsettle. How can i tell baby allergy to med. what do i look for?

Btw ds have silent reflux. Currently 7weeks 5kg on 5mg losec twice a day.
    Ds only not crying when sleeping. So exhaust. So frustrating. Ds refuse to nurse. Refuse bottle.
    Help help i dont know what to do now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Apparently 9 days with losec. I found the zantac worked better and quicker.

Have you tried remedies for wind such as gripe water or infants friend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You should notice a difference with Zantac almost immediately. Losec can take a week or two to kick in, and it gets worse before it gets better, it is doing battle with the acid in his stomach. Try and keep him upright as much as possible. The RISA site is wealth of info for reflux mums.

Mother to three gorgeous little men

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have you tried remedies for wind such as gripe water or infants friend.[/QUOTE]

I second this along with mylanta... check with your pharmacist but im pretty sure it's 1ml per kilo of body weight I dont quite remember sorry
    Wishing you all the best, its a tough road just remember they are in pain and need you
    My dd had reflux for her first 12 months of life so I feel your pain

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think Losec took a couple of weeks to kick in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi i took ds to dr today. He lose 200g . Its the first time he lose weight in check up. dr want to take bub to abdominal ultrasound( what is it how is it done) did any bub have that done. Dr said to keep bub on losec. But i see each i give bub losec ds seem to be more in pain. Cries at least 30 minutes. Dr also refer ds to ped ($130) is it that much each time. Ds cry too much so i did nt ask much question.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry. It may sound stp. But how can you tell med have kick in. Will ds be normal like normal baby. Eg not refuse to be nursing anymore, when awake more happy less crying. Its has been 4 days already ds cries from 8pm all the way to 10:30pm. Inconsolable crying. Will this stop too if med kick in. Seriously i cant take it anymore . Its school holiday i need to looking after my other 3 ds as well. So sorry to whinge i had noone to talk too. My dh exhaust too n i dont want to add more onto his plate

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Huge hugs hun. It can be so difficult. I think you should trust the dr and keep trying. Try gripe water, or infants friend. Warm baths and bicycling bubs legs. Also try gently rubbing in a clockwise motion just under bubs belly button (gentle). It might be a bit of reflux and wind too. You dont want to try the zantac again? dr said to me that losec and nexium are the first they try then zantac if the others dont work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We used losec and it worked but took 1-2weeks to really work and she was more settled. I think my bub was on less than your baby. Are you using the tablets crushed up or liquid? The tablets are more effective. Get the ultrasound done to rule out other problems & see the paediatrician. You might only need the 1 visit and will be worth the money if it helps your baby feel better. Call them and let them know it is urgent, that the baby is crying a lot & losing weight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    All of the advice pp here is great.
    I'm not sure about how this losec is dosed but if it's a suspension it may not be that effective. We found zantac quite good.
    As for bub being 'normal'.... And feeding. It may take a while to re establish that. If feeding was causing discomfort then bub can remember that and it may take a bit too help bub begin to understand that it doesn't hurt anymore. . if you know what I mean.
    I think your dr sounds great. ..referral to a paed plus ultrasound. Ultrasound is easy and non invasive. The paed costs will be similar amounts but the first consult is usually more than subsequent visits.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Kkkkkk  (15-04-2014)