+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    this is why I'm not on facebook.

Facebook is just an example of people interacting socially. We're just using that to explain scenarios. It makes no difference where you say stuff, people will take it rightly/wrongly whether it's said in person or on social media.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    Facebook is just an example of people interacting socially. We're just using that to explain scenarios. It makes no difference where you say stuff, people will take it rightly/wrongly whether it's said in person or on social media.
    Not really though because Facebook is a one way conversation. As you pointed out in your initial post (which I agree with) no one minds people talking about their kids so long as you ask how they're doing. You don't get the same flow on Facebook.

It just seems to me so many threads revolve around people getting upset over what is or isn't said on Facebook. I agree it can be great but it also has resulted in a new type of social anxiety that didn't exist before.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Acadaca  (13-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Not really though because Facebook is a one way conversation. As you pointed out in your initial post (which I agree with) no one minds people talking about their kids so long as you ask how they're doing. You don't get the same flow on Facebook.

It just seems to me so many threads revolve around people getting upset over what is or isn't said on Facebook. I agree it can be great but it also has resulted in a new type of social anxiety that didn't exist before.
    Fair point. I guess it does cause many people to overthink what to share/not share, and some don't think enough.

I just recall one night when DD1 kept getting out of bed over and over again. I posted one FB about it and my friends all shared their stories and encouraged me not to cave in and keep putting her back. In that situation it was definitely 2 way conversation and it helped me stay strong.

But there are many things which are 1 way conversations on there. But I also know people who have 1 way conversations in real life!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (13-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ok I might be a little weird but I love hearing people brag about their lives. I LOVE hearing about how wonderful their children and husband are it beats negativity any day.

I have a few braggers in my life and honestly I just listen, praise them and they normally just stop anyway. It really doesn't annoy me at all.

We are all different though so I am not taking away other peoples feelings on this matter I am just not competitive at all so it goes in one ear and out the other.

In saying that I wouldn't go on about my gorgeous husband to a single friend, or go on about how excited I am about my babies or being pregnant to friends that are struggling to conceive, I think people need to pick their audience.

Brag away!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LoCo For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (13-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I downplay as well with one gifted child. I really only tell close friends and family about her achievements and share the big ones on FB every now and then.

One of the mods started a thread recently about how tired they were of not being able to be proud of their child's intellectual achievements when everyone brags about sporting or other achievements and everyone says Wow, how cool are they? but telling anyone about your child's intellect = bragging and exaggerating. Totally agree, and this is the life of a parent with a gifted child. Don't tell anyone or you're bragging.

I remember a thread in the *gifted* section a while ago with members discussing the topic and people coming in saying "you're making me feel bad my child can't do X/isn't as smart as yours". It was a perfect example that even in the gifted section we can't talk about it.

Anyway, I'm digressing a bit but it makes me feel angry

9. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (13-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's funny, you are bragging when you share positives. And attention seeming when you share negatives.

I get jealous hearing about kids doing well as my kids aren't doing aged appropriate stuff.
    But I get flack for sharing stuff and looking for attention/sympathy.
    I am just talking about what my kids are doing just like you.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    To me it's about context. In fb world I have a couple of friends who I deem 'braggers' because I am close enough to them that I know for a fact they are portraying a certain element of success in their life despite what's really going on behind closed doors (and for one it's more to promote her business than anything else). It doesn't annoy me much because I think it's a shame that they seem delusional about their own situation, iykwim.

In the real world, to me it's bragging if it is hijacking another conversation or is brought up when it's irrelevant, or to kind of steal someone else's thunder. Example: me being excited DS has finally started walking - my boss (interrupting) 'really? He's only just walking? [grandson] was walking at 13 months!' = bragging. Me being excited DS has finally started walking - my colleague 'yes, it's such a lovely feeling when they learn something new, isn't it? I remember that feeling!' = not bragging.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

ButterflyMa  (13-04-2014),White Mage  (13-04-2014),Wise Enough  (13-04-2014)