+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Spinoff. What do you consider 'bragging'?

PP re competitive people has me wondering if I'm 'bragging'? I often tell people about the good things my kids have done, what they've accomplished etc. I'm proud of them and their achievements. Is that offensive? Is there a right and wrong way of doing it?

I do balance it out with the challenging things they present with...but where is the line for most people?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I filter a lot of stuff. I don't share all their achievements tbh, or even that many. I'm quite reserved about what I'll share. Dd2 has been tested as "profoundly gifted" and even within my own family there has been jealousy about this and a sense that I'm exaggerating how difficult life is for her. So I don't really share much. I'll share if people ask but even then I down play stuff

Not to my kids though; their achievements mean everything to me and I make sure they know it. I just don't really care what other people think anymore. I'm happy enough in myself to not need that.

I'm also not on Facebook so it's pretty easy to not share.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I down play too thinking that people will be offended. But isn't it sad that there is a need to down play? Can't people just be happy for one another?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yea that thread had me thinking too. I often 'celebrate' the positives but rarely mention negatives on social media/real life because I DON'T want to be the depressing one.

It's a bit sad that people may take my posts as bragging/competitiveness. I made and decorate cakes for a hobby and for bit of spare cash but in no way when I post pictures of the creations do I mean to rub it into my friends that I'm a better cook.

Another friend took it personally when I posted about toilet training success that I was picking on her cos she son was still in nappies. Sigh. If people are going to be silly I just bump them off my social life.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Personally I consider it bragging when you only talk about the great things and never share any difficulties. I've shared on FB when toilet training is going great, and I've shared the moments when it's been an embarrassing fail.

It's fine to brag about your kids as long as you ask about other people's kids too. If it's my Jonny did this, my Jonny did that blah blah blah without ever asking how your little Sally is people are going to class it as bragging.

Also only brag about real stuff. For example have you REALLY toilet trained your 4 week old? Really?? (Yes I know someone who claimed this).

People generally like honesty and openness. I notice on FB when people put posts up about being out on the town living the life many ignore it. But stupid stuff about being home watching Dirty Dancing gets a lot of comments.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I have copped a lot of flack in the past for being a bragger because my children seem to advance quickly when it comes to the physical side of things - my oldest crawled at 4 months and walked at 7 -not bragging just stating a fact. But people are so insecure that they take it as a personal dig. Apparently you can only be excited about your kids learning to crawl and walk if they do it at a more reasonable age.

It used to upset me when people would accuse me of bragging. But now I just dont care what people think. I rarely share negatives on FB and if I so I try to make it lighthearted and funny. Its a lose lose situation really, ur too happy people say your bragging or lying. Your upset and your a miserable sook who wants attention.

So I just stopped giving a f***, works well for me

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

BeeSam  (13-04-2014),Purple Lily  (13-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I like to share stuff I am proud of on Facebook. Mainly things I have cooked, kids doing cute things. I am not trying to show off I just don't see the point in posting everyday stuff, but that's just my opinion . With Facebook I think it's up to people to post what they like. I just skim past if it doesn't interest me.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jontu For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (13-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For the record, just to clarify, my other thread wasn't about bragging. It was about people who deliberately make me feel like crap, or negate me or flat out ridicule me, just so they can feel better than me. Competitive people.

Ok carry on!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Acadaca  (13-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    this is why I'm not on facebook.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

BeeSam  (13-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think people are bragging when they over exaggerate and go on relentlessly about their or their kids achievements. Posting good things that happen or telling others of their kids achievements isn't bragging, it's celebrating hard work and ability (as they should. ). It's probably a fine line to walk, but if someone is clearly proud of something they shouldn't be shamed into covering it up by their "friends".