+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Did you ever have moments..

Where you were just over breastfeeding? DD is 4.5months and apart from oversupply at the beginning we have had a great breastfeeding relationship. The past week I've started to get over it. She still wakes 2-3 times overnight while friends with babies the same age as DD who are formula or supplement fed seem to be sleeping through.

Last week I had to have an ultrasound and mammogram due to increased tissue thickening in my right side and expressed before then expressed and dumped after and it really messed my supply up I was engorged and sore. My nipples are so sore as she seems to all of a sudden be attaching wrong and I'm pretty sure my period is coming next week cause she is feeding so much this week. I got my period back 4 weeks after birth despite demand feeding and lastly I am really struggling with my larger size. Breastfeeding seems to have the opposite effect on me and while I eat well and exercise lots I struggle to lose anything.

Erghhhh just feel like a hungry blimp, with af looming, and sore nips plus engorgment like I have a newborn all over again. Wahhhh remind me why I'm doing this again but please only pro breastfeeding replies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Breast feeding can be tough.... Very tough...

Breastfeeding doesn't necessarily mean you won't have a good sleeper. My ds1 was breastfeed and slept 7pm-7am from about 12 weeks. Could there be other issues at play? Eg:
    - is bub getting cold through the night?
    - could bub be ready for solids?
    - does bub have a comforter?
    - are you using negative sleep aids such as dummies, patting/rocking/feeding to sleep?
    - could bub be waking for a feed out of habit rather than necessity?
    - how much is bub drinking/sleeping during the day? (Too much-little can affect night sleeps)
    - are night wakings treated differently to day feeds (no light, TV, talking, engagement etc)

Hang in there..

3. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

BeeSam  (12-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    http://www.pumpstation.com/pumpstati...e&dept_id=3895

Try this video for latching technique it helped me heaps..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a really difficult time early on with breastfeeding - I had to use shields for every feed (never got my DS off them). My worry about supply meant I spent half the day feeding (each feed took 40 minutes plus!) or expressing, or cleaning shields and expressing equipment. The novelty wore off quite a few times (especially after a couple of bouts of mastitis!)

BUT It got easier. My DS loved it, and even though he didn't sleep through the night as early as my friend's children (who used formula and SOS methods), I soon got into a pretty good routine with him. He DID eventually sleep through and I'm glad I persevered. I breastfed him till 13 months.

Reasons you're breastfeeding
    * Giant perky boobs (well, ya know. kinda)
    * That milk smell - uber special ( :P )
    * A really nice bonding moment with your DD
    * Less washing/cleaning/boiling of equipment
    * Breastmilk is "Liquid Goooold" (My DH used to say "there's gold in them thar hills!"
    * Sore nipples won't last long. Late night snuggles are far easier to deal with when they're all healed up.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jantastic For This Useful Post:

BeeSam  (12-04-2014),mrswhitehouse  (12-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    OMG YES!! I had times when I was so over it that I wanted to scream....and times when I did scream...a lot.

But for me, it was worth it - my youngest is 2.5 now and weaned and I wont ever breast feed another baby again and I look back on this special relationship I had with each of my children with such cherished memories.

Two mantras that I used constantly through the six or so years that I breastfed for were:

"This too shall pass"

"Just keep swimming".

You can do it mama!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

BeeSam  (12-04-2014),Busy-Bee  (12-04-2014),LoveLivesHere  (12-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Breast feeding can be tough.... Very tough...

Breastfeeding doesn't necessarily mean you won't have a good sleeper. My ds1 was breastfeed and slept 7pm-7am from about 12 weeks. Could there be other issues at play? Eg:
    - is bub getting cold through the night?
    - could bub be ready for solids?
    - does bub have a comforter?
    - are you using negative sleep aids such as dummies, patting/rocking/feeding to sleep?
    - could bub be waking for a feed out of habit rather than necessity?
    - how much is bub drinking/sleeping during the day? (Too much-little can affect night sleeps)
    - are night wakings treated differently to day feeds (no light, TV, talking, engagement etc)

Hang in there..
    Interestingly I tried her on some solids and she only woke once the first two nights then back to waking 2-3 times and lost interest in the food. Well in saying that she only likes finger food (won't take from a spoon) so actually doesn't get much in.

-She doesn't have a comforter cause I thought she may be too young if it went over her face

-never took to a dummy
    -never rocked her or patter her she usually just goes into her cot awake and puts herself down.
    - usually feed in the same room during day and night and don't talk if I'm out ill use my cover

And the one you said about habit I think you may be going somewhere with that. When she was really little I would always get straight up to her as soon as she stirred so she basically dreamfed and never woke up completely during the night. Lately she has been waking early morning 3-4am and chatting I ignore her thinking she will winge for milk soon but she goes back to sleep.

Today I was even doing the nooooo please don't be awake I don't want to feed you haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Many, many times. Particularly in that first 6 months where bub is still regularly waking & it just feels like Groundhog Day every 3-4 hours day and night.

Best advice is don't compare your baby to other babies. At that age it's totally normal to wake throughout the night, and there are plenty of FF babies who do so as well.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to grumpybump For This Useful Post:

BeeSam  (12-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Two mantras that I used constantly through the six or so years that I breastfed for were:

"This too shall pass"

"Just keep swimming".

You can do it mama!
    Thanks I will say these while I'm curling my toes waiting for let down lol

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had a few of those moments, particularly in really hot weather and when I was really tired and restless where being in physical contact was just an awful thought. But then I also just loved that breastfeeding made me the most important person in my bubs universe (not that the same is not true of bottle feeders, just that no one else could feed her but me).

Also, beware the friend that tells you that their baby sleeps through, one mothers sleeping through might be very different to another mothers sleeping through. One mother told me midnight till 5 was sleeping through. Not to me it wasn't.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

BeeSam  (12-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Oh and to answer your question yes I have for jack of breastfeeding at times... The first 3 weeks was hell with both my babies.. (Latching problems, bleeding nipples, oversupply, thrush). Just the other week I was saying to hubby I wanted to cut my boobs off!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

BeeSam  (12-04-2014)