+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry to jump in but I have a worming question. We have seen worms or suspected worms but we worm as a preventative, once though we felt horribly ill afterwards for 24 hours. Does that mean we had worms bad and the combantrum was killing them?

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loodle View Post
    Sorry to jump in but I have a worming question. We have seen worms or suspected worms but we worm as a preventative, once though we felt horribly ill afterwards for 24 hours. Does that mean we had worms bad and the combantrum was killing them?

I'd suggest you had a reaction to the combantrim, I've never heard of anyone having a reaction to the worms being killed.

You can't worm as a preventative as worming medication only kills live worms. The reason they seem to not be all killed the day after taking a tablet is that the medication only kills the live worms, not the eggs and the eggs will continue to hatch after the others are dead. (Hence why you worm again 2 weeks later if necessary).

The reason to give all of the family worm medication isn't to prevent them getting worms, it's because most adults won't know they even have worms. Apparently adults' bottoms aren't as sensitive and therefore they may not even feel itchy, but have worms anyway. (Besides, most worm medications come in a pack of six, so if you have a family of four, you then need to buy a new box of worms meds each time you treat - so I wonder if it's a ploy to sell more boxes of meds LOL)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    I'd suggest you had a reaction to the combantrim, I've never heard of anyone having a reaction to the worms being killed.

You can't worm as a preventative as worming medication only kills live worms. The reason they seem to not be all killed the day after taking a tablet is that the medication only kills the live worms, not the eggs and the eggs will continue to hatch after the others are dead. (Hence why you worm again 2 weeks later if necessary).

The reason to give all of the family worm medication isn't to prevent them getting worms, it's because most adults won't know they even have worms. Apparently adults' bottoms aren't as sensitive and therefore they may not even feel itchy, but have worms anyway. (Besides, most worm medications come in a pack of six, so if you have a family of four, you then need to buy a new box of worms meds each time you treat - so I wonder if it's a ploy to sell more boxes of meds LOL)
    I know you can't "prevent" worms by preventative I meant as good measure in case we have them. My older children wouldn't notice so wouldn't tell me and like you said adults sometimes don't know so we worm ourselves the same time as the dogs just to be sure

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    ive just treated my daughter tonight after seeing them, we have the orange flavoured tablets, can you take them if you are pregnant? ive treated everyone besides me and DH I don't feel itchy but like loodle said adults sometimes don't feel them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    You don't take them when pregnant unless you definitely have them and even then I think one of the brands are better then the others for pregnant ladies. Just ask the chemist they will let you know for sure.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JKLandmaybeMN For This Useful Post:

foreverclucky  (13-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm 33 wks and DD had another outbreak about 6/7 wks ago and kindly gave them to me. My GP said no treatment was safe but the obstetrician at my hospital said I could take Combantrim if I wanted too. He said there was a small risk but there was also a risk they could make me ill if untreated. He has worked in many developing countries and would give it routinely to women over there. I decided not to but instead to treat the house and take all precautionary measures and see what happened in a couple of weeks. I haven't seen/felt any for over 4wks but if they come back i will consider taking the Combantrim.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cairnsmummy For This Useful Post:

foreverclucky  (13-04-2014)