+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Any tips on getting my DS to eat?

Hi ladies,

I am at my wits end with my 20 month old son, he barely eats and its getting worse. He used to be a great little eater then when he hit about 16 months he started to get fussy and now the only things I can get him to eat are fruit, yoghurt, porridge, cornflakes and mountain bread wrap with a tiny bit of Vegemite on it. I used to be able to get him to eat spag bol (with hidden veggies) and basil pesto pasta (with hidden spinach) for dinner but as of the last week is now refusing that as well. When he won't eat dinner I don't give him anything else, if he still hasn't eaten by bed time I give him some milk but no matter how many times he has gone to bed without dinner the next night we are back to not eating. I know he is hungry cause he tries to climb into his highchair but i give him his food and he just won't eat. If I try to give him something new he just starts screeching and shaking his head and refuses to even try it. He loves the tv so I have tried turning that on to get him to eat that used to work but not anymore and I have tried turning it off until he has eaten but that doesnt work either. Anyone else having this issue and does anyone have any suggestions on how to get him to eat more than porridge yoghurt and fruit?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would try no snacks etc or try the spag Bol for breaku when he's really hungry

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    My 18 month old has hit a super fussy patch at the moment. I'm trying to balance getting him to try new things and having something that he likes on the plate as well. In the last couple of weeks I've tried just letting him pick at his food, then I'll take him out of his high chair and leave his plate of food somewhere low so he can graze at it over a period of time. This seems to work well during the day, but I do find night times harder because I don't have endless time for him to graze all evening. One thing he will have without fail is one of those yoghurt pouch things, so if he doesn't eat much dinner I will offer him one of those, which seems to tide him over til morning. This week I've managed to get him to eat home-crumbed chicken parma, fish fingers (although he takes the outside off and just eats the fish) and homemade hash browns successfully. But it's been completely random and hit and miss.

It's so frustrating, isn't it? Sorry, probably haven't been much help, but just letting you know you're not alone :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Do you eat with him when he eats? Sometimes when they see you enjoying your dinner that encourages them.

You could try offering his "main" meal at lunch time rather than in the evening and then let him have yogurt/wraps/fruit for dinner.

Sometimes a change of scene helps, having a floor picnic etc....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We are going through a bad patch atm. I try to tell myself that "this too shall pass". It usually does.
    How much milk is your toddler having? I found at that age the amount of milk and yog was too much and filling her up. Once I cut that back she started eating more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My ds is 16 months and goes through phases of fussiness like this. It is worse when he's tired, just won't try anything new then. is he sleeping well? Teething also interferes with eating here.

Like pp has suggested I offer something I know he likes alongside something new so that he isn't totally freaked out. When I put something new in front of him I serve it up then walk away to do something else in the kitchen and totally ignore him. He can whinge and carry on and refuse to eat it but I act like nothing is happening and carry on with what I'm doing. Drawing attention to his behavior only exacerbates it. If he's really carrying on then I leave the room for a minute or so. Eventually he gets bored and starts eating. This usually works if he's really hungry.

Sent from my SM-N9007 using The Bub Hub mobile app